Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

Could have added Firecracker to the mix.
c4c3af03d024776f50e31e43274d15e4.jpg

Liberty and Snowsweet are almost ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seedling had it’s first crabs this year. I like the flavor. They are fairly sweet and not crab like at all in flavor.
6ab2fac1e0126ad02052eb6e4927e6b6.jpg
7a4335247e61f75257762050eaa8abbf.jpg

I had two of these on the counter with some Liberty and Kerr. My wife ate both of these and a Kerr.

She had never realized there was such a difference in apple taste.

A sweet Crab seedling is a trophy or sure. I’ve got a couple seedlings that will probably throw first fruit in the Spring...anxious times:)

Art--how many Kerr do you have planted (?)... might have to try one.

I have two on B128 from Cummins. Both are about 8 feet high and are bearing heavily. Great for easy picking.

I wonder if they will get big enough to take the cage off and be a deer crab.

I am beginning to wonder if other rootstocks might be better with some of these crabs, especially for deer sized trees. If planting again, I would try one on dolgo rootstock.

My Trailman on Anty looks like it will be a larger tree.

Sandbur, how old are those 8' Kerr?

I have two on B128 from Cummins. Both are about 8 feet high and are bearing heavily. Great for easy picking.

I wonder if they will get big enough to take the cage off and be a deer crab.

I am beginning to wonder if other rootstocks might be better with some of these crabs, especially for deer sized trees. If planting again, I would try one on dolgo rootstock.

My Trailman on Anty looks like it will be a larger tree.

Typo. Should have said B118.

Sandbur, how old are those 8' Kerr?

I will check the tag when I get home.

sandbur, I like the look of that rose fleshed one, I gotta go this winter and collect some scion wood from a tree in NY, absolutely scarlet flesh on an apple just under tennis ball sized, and not bad as far as flavor.

I picked one bucket from this seedling and left the rest for the deer.
812fdf2988fd41dd533d101bfe509666.jpg
f646a6b90c7c99b86d64cef992dc9d76.jpg

Great stuff! Great color on that Kerr cider! I pressed 2 gallons of Wickson. It’s light - almost clear.

I agree, that's some beautiful liquid.

Great stuff! Great color on that Kerr cider! I pressed 2 gallons of Wickson. It’s light - almost clear.

I tried a wickson last night and seeds were still a bit brown. Flavor did not impress me, yet.

It all looks tremendous, Bur !! The trees, the buckets of apples and crabs, the press & cider ......…… Great set-up you have there. Still waiting for heavier production here …....

A buddy pointed out a string of flowering crabs on public property along a street. But one is not a flowering crab and has a long drop time.... hm.

Taste is not real sweet, a bit sharp, and a bit mealy at this point. I should have tasted it ten days ago. Still would be good for deer and cider blend.
1d20dbc5a519a0b6314eb37b614505d8.jpg
38b8120451729892c09b4bb8dc0efdd5.jpg

It looks like a good one to add to a wildlife or maybe cider planting. Gotta believe deer would be drawn to them.
You guys in Minn. & Wisc. sure seem to have a batch of wild crabs scattered all around that territory. We have scarce, abandoned regular apple trees, but not crabs it seems.