All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

Could have added Firecracker to the mix.
c4c3af03d024776f50e31e43274d15e4.jpg

Liberty and Snowsweet are almost ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seedling had it’s first crabs this year. I like the flavor. They are fairly sweet and not crab like at all in flavor.
6ab2fac1e0126ad02052eb6e4927e6b6.jpg
7a4335247e61f75257762050eaa8abbf.jpg

I had two of these on the counter with some Liberty and Kerr. My wife ate both of these and a Kerr.

She had never realized there was such a difference in apple taste.

A sweet Crab seedling is a trophy or sure. I’ve got a couple seedlings that will probably throw first fruit in the Spring...anxious times:)

Art--how many Kerr do you have planted (?)... might have to try one.

I have two on B128 from Cummins. Both are about 8 feet high and are bearing heavily. Great for easy picking.

I wonder if they will get big enough to take the cage off and be a deer crab.

I am beginning to wonder if other rootstocks might be better with some of these crabs, especially for deer sized trees. If planting again, I would try one on dolgo rootstock.

My Trailman on Anty looks like it will be a larger tree.

Sandbur, how old are those 8' Kerr?

I have two on B128 from Cummins. Both are about 8 feet high and are bearing heavily. Great for easy picking.

I wonder if they will get big enough to take the cage off and be a deer crab.

I am beginning to wonder if other rootstocks might be better with some of these crabs, especially for deer sized trees. If planting again, I would try one on dolgo rootstock.

My Trailman on Anty looks like it will be a larger tree.

Typo. Should have said B118.

Sandbur, how old are those 8' Kerr?

I will check the tag when I get home.

sandbur, I like the look of that rose fleshed one, I gotta go this winter and collect some scion wood from a tree in NY, absolutely scarlet flesh on an apple just under tennis ball sized, and not bad as far as flavor.

I picked one bucket from this seedling and left the rest for the deer.
812fdf2988fd41dd533d101bfe509666.jpg
f646a6b90c7c99b86d64cef992dc9d76.jpg

Great stuff! Great color on that Kerr cider! I pressed 2 gallons of Wickson. It’s light - almost clear.

I agree, that's some beautiful liquid.

Great stuff! Great color on that Kerr cider! I pressed 2 gallons of Wickson. It’s light - almost clear.

I tried a wickson last night and seeds were still a bit brown. Flavor did not impress me, yet.

It all looks tremendous, Bur !! The trees, the buckets of apples and crabs, the press & cider ......…… Great set-up you have there. Still waiting for heavier production here …....

A buddy pointed out a string of flowering crabs on public property along a street. But one is not a flowering crab and has a long drop time.... hm.

Taste is not real sweet, a bit sharp, and a bit mealy at this point. I should have tasted it ten days ago. Still would be good for deer and cider blend.
1d20dbc5a519a0b6314eb37b614505d8.jpg
38b8120451729892c09b4bb8dc0efdd5.jpg

It looks like a good one to add to a wildlife or maybe cider planting. Gotta believe deer would be drawn to them.
You guys in Minn. & Wisc. sure seem to have a batch of wild crabs scattered all around that territory. We have scarce, abandoned regular apple trees, but not crabs it seems.