Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

The Whitney I had was awesome.....and the seeds were still white. I picked another three for eating and left two to get more mature. We'll see what those taste like soon!

A co worker brought some crabs to work and did not know what they were. I had chestnuts on the table. Hers were Whitney’s. This thread was the reference guide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is another dolgo seedling. In a week or two it should be ripe and good to blend in cider.
5d410dbf96d909ec80347df4057b814a.jpg
d121eeeb2d60db27013f15ec001500e2.jpg

Here is another dolgo seedling. In a week or two it should be ripe and good to blend in cider.

I grabbed a chestnut from the next tree for size comparison.
23848eb1a43b00f3f16cd3b2ac2c0654.jpg

Bur - You sure hit pots of gold when you try seeds / seedlings !! Seems like you're batting between 900 and 1000%.

Bur - You sure hit pots of gold when you try seeds / seedlings !! Seems like you're batting between 900 and 1000%.

I got 4 seeds from my one and only Almata apple and are saving the seeds from my 5 Kinderkrisp apples. All open pollinated, so who knows what I will get.

I can also show pictures of dolgo seedlings full of CAR and others with apples the size of your little finger nail.

I purchased these from a local orchard and am saving some seed.
5a761d7a235b197ed89888799253aa73.jpg

They look good, Bur. Tasty ??

Picked today to press for cider on Tuesday. All are seedlings except the chestnut crabs.
13fff3867b5715d8dabf3af7858738eb.jpg

I picked the dolgo seedlings( in the buckets) along with chestnuts in the cart.
8d5ccbf869068129a09a402f99654f2c.jpg

Wow, very nice. How many seedlings have you tried to find these good ones

I would guess I have 150 seedlings. Lots of duds, some Ok, about three that I really like.

I am currently collecting seeds from Kinderkrisp, Crabby Crisp, and my one and only Almata apple.

What’s your typical turnaround from collecting seeds, to growing a tree that produces fruit? Seems like a long process

What’s your typical turnaround from collecting seeds, to growing a tree that produces fruit? Seems like a long process

I would say ten years. If I would take scion from those that sprouted this spring, I’ll bet it would be 3-5 years.

I also have to ask what you mean by a good one?

A good crab for eating, a crab good enough to blend in cider, a good producer for the Deer to eat, or a crab that hangs late.

Lots of seedlings are just crabs that produce heavy crops every other year with very little care. Some produce every year.

Those trailer pix have me slobbering. I can only imagine what some of those taste like. The Chestnut crabs look delicious. I can't wait for our Chestnuts to produce loads.

Those trailer pix have me slobbering. I can only imagine what some of those taste like. The Chestnut crabs look delicious. I can't wait for our Chestnuts to produce loads.

A friend is bringing over a bucket of wild crabs and a bucket of larger apples. It looks like my Frostbite is ready to go. That should make 9 or 10 varieties in tomorrow’s cider.

Over half will be chestnut .

amazing the variety between wild crabs/ apples... I have a few wild ones up by my NY place that the deer don't even eat, sping ya see the lumps of leftover fruit under this one tree by the hundreds.

Picked today to press for cider on Tuesday. All are seedlings except the chestnut crabs.
13fff3867b5715d8dabf3af7858738eb.jpg

With the added Frostbites and a few other buckets, we had 18 gallons.
afe002cdb71696f12a9ae92e4561a262.jpg

If there are 13 varieties in it, can we call it the new Minnesota 13?