Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

^^^does that one have red flesh?
Not yet. I do have one that is red fleshed, got to remember where it is. Besides the firecracker crab.

Art- How old is that tree from seed to today? Very nice
I need to check the tag on the fence, but I think the tree was planted in 2009, the seed was collected fall of 2007.

Those look perfect for deer Art. Did you grow them from seeds? We have to find something to trade as I would like to try a few of your apples.
I assume the bunches was from seed. I got something mixed up when I planted a few of these and thought they were plums. I have quite a few of these bunches types from seed. Might also be a rootstock sucker that I dug up.
Jerry-we don't need to trade anything. Come get some scion next winter.
I think we should schedule a grafting together.

My crab that looks similar to that one you posted has red flesh, that's why I was asking. Think I found a dolgo today...first time its fruited since I've been here...not enough sunlight previously. Apples sure look like a dolgo anyway

I top worked some of my dolgo seedlings and almost wish I had not done so.
Is there a problem to leave the nurse limb and see what the fruit is like?

I don't know what you guys in Minn. have in your soil, water, air that you have so many good deer-sized crabs there !! How about mailing some east to Pa. !! The pix you guys put up of all these crab varieties are un-real !! The thing that gets me is you find these things in roadside ditches, overgrown woods, etc. And they're perfect size for deer to eat. I think Bur might be Minnesota's answer to Jack and the Beanstalk. Magic crab seeds. I'm GREEN with envy !!;)

I don't know what you guys in Minn. have in your soil, water, air that you have so many good deer-sized crabs there !! How about mailing some east to Pa. !! The pix you guys put up of all these crab varieties are un-real !! The thing that gets me is you find these things in roadside ditches, overgrown woods, etc. And they're perfect size for deer to eat. I think Bur might be Minnesota's answer to Jack and the Beanstalk. Magic crab seeds. I'm GREEN with envy !!;)

I am in W MI and we have tons of wild crab apples that grow everywhere except any property that i'm blessed with access too, lol.

My daughter's called me Artie Apple Seed for a period.

I made a run to check some of the flowering trees that I spotted on the state management area.
Spring
IMG_9359.JPG IMG_9361.JPG IMG_9363.JPG

Today, I found there were some extra apple trees in these clumps. About 1/3 had either dropped or did not have fruit.IMG_8176.JPG
This one was small and not much different than what I have at home.

This tree needs to be released, but not my land. The fruit was high up on the tree and almost one inch in size.

IMG_8178.JPG

Here is one that I marked. The location next to red cedar might indicate CAR resistance.
IMG_8180.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG IMG_8181.JPG

It might be a good location for an early season bow kill, if someone wanted to fill their tag. Near a creek bottom and also near bur oaks.
Scion will be tiny from this shaded location with much competition from red cedars and bur oak.

Hey Bur, Stu, or Grey - When you guys collect seeds from any of these wild crabs, how do you prepare them to stratify in the frig. for the winter ?? When ( month ) do you put them in the frig., and when do you take them out to plant in starter pots or trays ??

Stu - Do you look for a radical before you plant the seed ??

I have a thread on the dark side on how I have started seeds. I stratify them in the garden, over winter.

With a shorter growing season, some I have grown in a SE window, just like tomato plants.

Thanks Bur - I forgot you had that seed-starting thread over at the old place. It's part of the sticky that Crazy Ed put up about fruit trees. I haven't been over at the other site in a long time. I read thru your process.

Yup, IME almost all of the apple/crab seeds will develop one. I've let them sit in the fridge until some of the radicals are nearly an inch before planting them out...all depends on when you put them in the fridge (I prefer late fall) and when you can get them in the ground the following spring. For something like this procedure...I much prefer to follow the KISS method

Any reason you guys take the seeds, rather than scions? Are you just trying to perhaps find a new "winner"?

I'm hoping to get seeds from a couple good crabapple trees and see if they come out similar to the parent tree. I know scion / grafting is the way to insure that - I'm just playing with what sprouts & see what I get.

Here is one that I marked. The location next to red cedar might indicate CAR resistance.
View attachment 7041

View attachment 7042 View attachment 7043

It might be a good location for an early season bow kill, if someone wanted to fill their tag. Near a creek bottom and also near bur oaks.
Scion will be tiny from this shaded location with much competition from red cedars and bur oak.

Hey Art, what would the state do if you went in and released those trees?.......anything?

Stu - You and Art have grown crabs from seeds before. Do you think they'll be similar to the parent, or is it a total crapshoot ?? I know regular apples don't work that way.

Thanks Stu. It'll be cool to watch 'em hatch and see what develops. I hatched 1 seed 2 years ago and planted the resulting tree at camp last fall. This spring / summer it's growing real well and has a real nice branching pattern. Good angles and spacing radially around the leader. I'm hoping for 1" - 1 1/2" fruit.