Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

I agree that large diameter scions tend to have a growth advantage over thinner ones. However, some varieties are slower growers than others and just naturally have thinner diameter.

Grandma in law started this one over 25 years ago. It drops apples into January or later and bears heavily every other year. I call it Yellow Dog.
IMG_8008 yellow dog.jpg

IMG_8007 yellow dog.jpg

Last edited:
I have Morse Bunches Red and Bunches Yellow. They do not seem to be completely hardy in zone 3B.

The seedling crabs are performing just as well as the Bunches.

Other crabs that are not producing are centennial on B118. Trailman and Violi's hanging crab on ant. from sln. Also various wild crabs on B118 and dolgo.

Anaros is an awesome crab as well and is ripe now and great pollinator and would be great for jelly and cider I believe

I need to closely look at my grafts. I'm not sure if anaros made it or just a rootstock from very near the graft.

Anaros is on the list for next year.

I need to closely look at my grafts. I'm not sure if anaros made it or just a rootstock from very near the graft.

Anaros is on the list for next year.
I can send more. They were loaded this year and I ate 2 today. Tangy and tart but mmmmm good

I had to drive up to camp this morning. ( Monday ) 3 of us planted another food plot and I did a bunch of mowing around our outer fringe apples and crabs. I have to tell you guys - I tried a Centennial crab & man was it good !!! I also tried an apple from a tree that's been in ground for 15 years or so and never produced fruit until this year and it's LOADED. I have no idea what it is, a crab ( I believe it is ) or a small apple. It's 1 1/2" diameter, greenish with red blush and some striping. Nobody seems to remember who planted it or what it is. The apple was sweet & tart with a slight tang like cider. Tree is polluted with ( crab ?? ) apples and deer already have the grass beaten down from traffic around it.

Greyphase posted a pic of his All-Winter-Hanover crab on Ant. from SLN at post #5. We planted our first one ( also on Ant. ) in 2013 as well and it's probably our best looking crab tree. Like Grey said, no bugs, no disease and it produced about 40 apples this year. I snipped most of them off to grow the tree, but left about 10 or 12 on it to see how they finish up and hang. It was a 7/16" whip and it's now 8 1/2 ft. tall and is up to 1 1/2" caliper. It's well branched too. I planted a second A.W.H. this spring because the first one was kicking butt. Glad I got it in !!! :) Our A.W.H. crabapples are still more green than Grey's but are showing some red coming on.

In the Project W thread, I posted photos, links, and descriptions of crabs I ordered from the USDA GRIN. These are all rated for fireblight resistance. I was interested in later ripening varieties.I was not looking for ones that hang deep into winter.

Hey Sandbur are any of those named? I would like to put an image to the "dog" series crabs.

Hey Sandbur are any of those named? I would like to put an image to the "dog" series crabs.
Big Dog is loaded this year. I have also called it the Garden crab. The colors are just beginning to show. I'll get a picture a bit later. It drops a 2 inch crab from about the 3rd week of October into January or later.

Here are a couple more neglected trees from Grandma's seed collections of 25 plus year's ago. They are down in the reed canary/tag alders and about all I do is cut off water sprouts and crossing limbs that I can reach, throw pel lime at them, and add a few fruit tree spikes.IMG_8092.JPGIMG_8091.JPG IMG_8090.JPG

Big Dog is loaded this year. I have also called it the Garden crab. The colors are just beginning to show. I'll get a picture a bit later. It drops a 2 inch crab from about the 3rd week of October into January or later.
Big dog cleft graft on a seedling.

IMG_8086.JPG