coyotes pass by 6 minutes after newborn fawn

ksJoe

5 year old buck +
It won't let me upload video, but here's a couple pictures.

At 3:32 AM a fawn walks by, following mom. At 3:38 AM a couple coyotes come by. The video shows it better, but the coyotes seem to be heading off in the wrong direction to find the fawn.DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG

6231584A-BAD5-47D7-9298-F4CC88105D3E.jpeg1679A49A-A506-4BFE-8CA5-452306C145B6.jpeg9ADB03FD-EDE0-4D2A-BC2B-5EB8D7B59833.jpegI had the same last year. 6 minutes apart. The video shows the fawn bleating and actually 3 coyotes in the video. But I think there was a happy ending

E3D73128-BEDA-4E4A-87A4-CCFCBBEE946D.jpegI see coyote pictures pick up three fold around fawning cover this time of year. I sometimes wonder if producing good cover concentrates the does and in turn concentrates the predators. My fawn recruitment numbers are horrible - .3 fawns per doe last year. Seeing as how the mature does here average 1.7 fetuses per doe - a lot of those fawns go missing between June and September. I know a fawns face a variety of pitfalls. I found this fawn last week - could barely stand. Four hours later, at night, I was out thermal hog hunting and coyotes were howling in the area I saw the fawn. I see a few fawns this time of year, but by Sept, they are rare. I am a horrible coyote trapper. I cant do pretty well with everything else - but coyotes are my nemesis. I combat low fawn recruitment by maintaining an elevated doe population. 20 does at .3 fawn recruitment produces 6 fawns —— 10 does at .6 fawn recruitment produces six fawns. Forty years ago, a lot of folks wouldnt shoot a doe - they remembered the days when we didnt have deer. Our Game and Fish went on a balance the herd campaign and now a lot of our hunters refer to does - if you want some deer meat “just shoot a doe” - like they are squirrels or rats. I have multiple, adjacent, small acreage land owners with a corn feeder not far of my land. A fifteen acre property owner may kill three does. On my 350 acres, we didnt kill a doe last year so the neighbors can. I do all I can to keep the deer on my property as much time as I can.

I had two fawns with two does on camera for two days, then a pack of coyotes. Since that night, no more fawn photos, just pictures of the does. That afternoon I ordered a dozen #2 coil spring traps. The coyote and raccoon populations have soared in the five years we have lived here, and this year I’ve seen no turkey poults.

The first day I hunted on my land last year I watched a pair of coyotes diss member a fawn.
I been told if you see / hear coyotes…….there are no wolves about.

My farm tenant mowed hay yesterday buzzards where pretty heavy in one field I was checking on a food plot behind the hay field he must of hit a newborn fawn we only found some parts. Sad to see that.

Coyotes are the only critter I don't hunt ethically. No matter what I am hunting, if I see a coyote it always turns into a coyote hunt and they are getting shot at. The second year I had my house I saw a pack of coyotes go across the open area above my house, at that distance it was hard to tell but 2 of them were carrying what looked like fawns. They all stopped at the first shot and in a tight group, I rolled 2 of them before they made it into the woods, I found blood trails but no bodies.

I understand they are part of the natural process but I have no tolerance for them, growing up on my grandfathers farm he instilled that in me.

I have lots of hogs and quite a few coyotes. I believe the coyotes have much greater negative affect on other wildlife species than hogs. I think the coyotes are especially damaging to the deer herd. That said, I also believe coyotes take more than their fair share of young pigs.

I know y'all are all about the deer, and I used to be that way... but, anymore, around here, the 'yotes (and folks) can't kill enough of the bloody hooved rats to put a dent in the population. Don't think my guy hit any fawns this year, cutting 80 acres of hay... just one turkey nest.
It's nothing for me to see upwards of 50, some evenings, grazing in the rye/wheat fields within 1000 ft of the house here. Fewer this time of year, but still seeing a dozen or so deer most evenings, grazing clover re-growth in those fields.

Last edited: