All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coyote vs Coon

scott44

5 year old buck +
I see this is 3yrs old but still cool.

That is so cool. I planted sweet corn in the middle of a field this year. We have never had many coons around but I could tell they were in the corn. I put a camera at the end of the corn at ground level. It was coons coming and going and fox and coyotes mixed in. I wondered why they didn't go after the coons, now I know.

I think I posted this on the dark side once. My wife and I were tent camping up at Leech Lake when we were first married. After dark, we put a couple of thick rib-eye steaks on a wood fired camp grill outside our tent. I was watching the steaks from the picnic table, as a big coon came in and started pulling at one of the steaks on the grill. I charged it hollering at it to get away......and the coon charged right at me.....teeth barred and hissing. I backed off a bit looking for a poker.....and an instant later the coon got that steak. My wife and I split the remaining steak that night. :(

Major drought at that time.....and little food for the critters. The next week a bear crawled thru the window of a pickup camper and killed a woman in the camper. Same campground we were in.

Cool video. Damn Foggy, a man should not have to be armed to cook his dinner!

North of 200, I think it's prudent to be packin' heat.

Dang lil suckers look like they can be a handful

They are feisty for sure.

They are feisty for sure.

The only thing that will make you pucker harder is trying to release a live bobcat fom a snare after the close of bobcat season! Those things are like a tornado with razor blades for claws.

Last edited:
Yes sir - coons are just evil when they have a mind to be. I trapped them for a number of years and saw plenty of up close hostility. Lb. for lb., they might be one of the strongest critters out there, judging from the size / weight of some drags they towed around !!

Boy that had to be painful !! Most of us wait for a chance at a bruiser buck like you saw. Can't think of a stranger way to lose a buck though. I know you'll never forget that encounter.