Coyote range

tooln

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know the range of a yote. I have heard them at night from my property but have never seen one on camera. How far away would you think you could hear them?

We have so many in Missouri, it would be tough to guess there range. But I don't think it is real far.

Eradication starts tonight, bet there range changes when the lead starts flying!:D

I read somewhere that they have a range of about 20 square miles. The trapping books I have say most furbearers actually have travel routes that they circle back every few days and sometimes weeks. I remember that bobcats were the one that had the longest route.

Does anyone know the range of a yote. I have heard them at night from my property but have never seen one on camera. How far away would you think you could hear them?
tooln, I'm shocked that you've never had one on camera. We get them all the time. Do you have any water holes with cameras? Other than the dens themselves the water hole cameras produce the most yote photos for us.

You can hear them for a very long ways. I know when they sound like they right by you they are usually at least .5mile away.

Not sure how far they roam but I often see the same pair for a couple of days in a row, and then might not see them for another week.

Going to depend on the time of year as well. A pair with an active den and pups does not wander nearly as far as juveniles dispersing in the fall. Also coyote population density and prey density impact home range.

How far away would you think you could hear them?

I actually did my thesis at UMASS on the social organization or Eastern coyotes. This included a technique called the howling survey in which I estimated the mean distance at which a pack could be heard howling by human observers. I did this because that data can then be used for a low cost coyote population estimation technique. Of course the habitat, topography, humidity, wind direction, and time of year affect that distance...but it turned out that the mean was 0.8 miles during the summer in western Massachsuetts...heavily wooded, rolling country. Again, that's the average of the furthest away that they can be detected by human ears in perfect conditions.

I actually did my thesis at UMASS on the social organization or Eastern coyotes. This included a technique called the howling survey in which I estimated the mean distance at which a pack could be heard howling by human observers. I did this because that data can then be used for a low cost coyote population estimation technique. Of course the habitat, topography, humidity, wind direction, and time of year affect that distance...but it turned out that the mean was 0.8 miles during the summer in western Massachsuetts...heavily wooded, rolling country. Again, that's the average of the furthest away that they can be detected by human ears in perfect conditions.

^ Wow. That really surprises me. I have assumed much further distances. We used to go out "howling" at night to locate likely spots to call on future hunts. Always thought we could hear much further away. The distance is likely much further in open country.

Going the other way around (them hearing us). I have called a fox from a long ways out. Wached one come to my dying rabbit call from about a mile away. Often wondered how far some may have traveled to get to the call.

Coyote Range = about 250yds with my 30-06 and about 85yds with the 10ga and 00 Buckshot!;)

^ Wow. That really surprises me. I have assumed much further distances. We used to go out "howling" at night to locate likely spots to call on future hunts. Always thought we could hear much further away. The distance is likely much further in open country.

Going the other way around (them hearing us). I have called a fox from a long ways out. Wached one come to my dying rabbit call from about a mile away. Often wondered how far some may have traveled to get to the call.

I've often felt that yotes...eastern yotes...in typical terrain like we have here...wooded rolling hills....don't necessarily come from too far away but that they they certainly take their time and cirlce way out down wind where they can. So often times its is 30 mins to an hour before you might get a glimpse of one. A friend of mine that does a lot of calling for yotes typically gives a stand an hour or more before moving on. He starts out soft in case they are close to begin with....gives the call a rest for 30 mins then calls louder and gives the call a rest for 30 mins (unless something he observes tells him otherwise) but this is how he typically approaches stands that he hasn't really called before.

I think i recall reading some coyote studies out of MA. The one that is sticking out in my mind was done down on the Cape.

My old boss was so fascinated with the yotes in his area in upstate NY (otsego county) that he was preparing to have a study done out of his own pocket. he was more interested in the genetics. His son shot a 62lb male on his property during deer season and a 54lber was killed on his property the following year also during deer season. There was a crew of houndsman in his town that really put a hurting on the local yotes. They frequently killed yotes in the mid the upper 40lb range and killed several over 50lbs. he was collecting hair and flesh samples from this their kills and recording weights, sex, time, date, location etc of these yotes. I helped him stretch and salt hides and boil heads. He wanted to have the skulls available for cranial morphology studies. We processed about 40 animals that first year. He had the samples stored in a freezer and unfortunately the freezer was at his hunting cabin and it shit the bed while he was gone for several months. that really took the wind out of his sails. I think he had something set up with some researchers at SUNY ESF in syracuse.

I think i recall reading some coyote studies out of MA. The one that is sticking out in my mind was done down on the Cape.

My old boss was so fascinated with the yotes in his area in upstate NY (otsego county) that he was preparing to have a study done out of his own pocket. he was more interested in the genetics. His son shot a 62lb male on his property during deer season and a 54lber was killed on his property the following year also during deer season. There was a crew of houndsman in his town that really put a hurting on the local yotes. They frequently killed yotes in the mid the upper 40lb range and killed several over 50lbs. he was collecting hair and flesh samples from this their kills and recording weights, sex, time, date, location etc of these yotes. I helped him stretch and salt hides and boil heads. He wanted to have the skulls available for cranial morphology studies. We processed about 40 animals that first year. He had the samples stored in a freezer and unfortunately the freezer was at his hunting cabin and it shit the bed while he was gone for several months. that really took the wind out of his sails. I think he had something set up with some researchers at SUNY ESF in syracuse.

Those are damn big! In MN wolves usually are 70-80 lbs from what I have been told. Some will look twice the size of a 80 lb dog so people way over estimate the weights. Some long time trappers in NE MN said they never saw a wolf over 100 lbs. Just speculation but I would think now that wolves have spread in to the transition area between big woods in ag in MN and WI in the last 10-15 years they will get a bit bigger in those areas that have more food.

Those are damn big! In MN wolves usually are 70-80 lbs from what I have been told. Some will look twice the size of a 80 lb dog so people way over estimate the weights. Some long time trappers in NE MN said they never saw a wolf over 100 lbs. Just speculation but I would think now that wolves have spread in to the transition area between big woods in ag in MN and WI in the last 10-15 years they will get a bit bigger in those areas that have more food.
yeah they were giants. most of the yotes i have seen around here in my part of PA are in the 30-35lb range. But i have heard of/seen some that were in the 40's....but i have never seen any bigger than that.

here i am holding the hide of the 54lber i believe, it may have been the 62lber....i cant remember at this point it was over a decade ago I'm about 5'9' and without holding it up over my head like that the tail would be touching the ground.

and here is a big beastly critter from here in NE PA i got on trail cam back in early 2008.

Holy crap Phil...those pics sure don't look like any coyote I've ever gotten a pic of :eek:
I about chit my pants when i first downloaded the pics from that card!

The eastern coyote is not the same critter as its western counter part.

"As a result, both the gray wolves and the eastern wolves, although mostly the latter, have contributed their roles as among two of the three Canis species for the modern day eastern coyotes' genepool. As of 2010, the eastern coyote's genetic makeup is fairly uniform, with minimal influence from the wolves or western coyotes." - Way, J.G., L. Rutledge, T. Wheeldon, B.N. White. 2010. Genetic characterization of Eastern "Coyotes" in eastern Massachusetts. Northeastern Naturalist. 17(2): 189-204.

I'm sure natty is familiar with the above study.

Coyote range - that's simple. If I can hit them with the gun they are too close - If I miss they are too far away!!!!

Coyote range - that's simple. If I can hit them with the gun they are too close - If I miss they are too far away!!!!
My dad and some work friends were hunting mulies in Nebraska many years ago. they were guests of co worker that ran a sewing plant for the company located in Nebraska. The coworker had some of his own ground and had permission from the rancher neighbor. they were glassing some distant terrain when the rancher drove up to them. He asked if they had seen the group of deer "out yonder" then he looked again in that direction and said "make that waaayyyyy out yonder". My dad's wise-ass buddy asked him whats the difference between out yonder and waaaayyyyy out yonder.....the rancher looked at him like he was stupid and said "about 1/4 mile". So many years later we use out yonder and waaaayyyy out younder to describe differences in outlandish distances.

This morning on the national news, they had a report about the huge population of yotes in downtown Chicago. The pop. the is over 2000 yotes in the inner city !! They showed video of them sneaking all around town after dark - playgrounds, parking lots, strip malls, grocery stores ( good hunting in the dumpsters !! ). The yotes have even learned to watch for cars when crossing the streets !! They showed video of a coyote watching as cars passed by and when all was clear - it crossed the street !! They had video of a trapped yote caught behind a butcher shop of some kind. Not stupid - quick learners.

This morning on the national news, they had a report about the huge population of yotes in downtown Chicago. The pop. the is over 2000 yotes in the inner city !! They showed video of them sneaking all around town after dark - playgrounds, parking lots, strip malls, grocery stores ( good hunting in the dumpsters !! ). The yotes have even learned to watch for cars when crossing the streets !! They showed video of a coyote watching as cars passed by and when all was clear - it crossed the street !! They had video of a trapped yote caught behind a butcher shop of some kind. Not stupid - quick learners.
It was never like this until a few years ago. Sure there was a stray here and there but its crazy now. My theory is that that the rapidly growing wolf population in central and southern Wisconsin forced a lot of yotes south out of their home ranges.