All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cow manure, potting soil and the like

Buckly

5 year old buck +
So I'm making a trip down to the lawn and garden to get some composted manure, potting soil and maybe some top soil. The problem is I have no idea how much to get! I am planting 26 apples in a few weeks. How much of each of these substances do you think I would need per hole. I'm guessing the holes will be about 18" wide by 18" deep. Thanks

My soil is basically pure sand so I try and add as much as reasonable, and for me that number is 3 bags of anerobically digested dairy cow manure.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

I have OK soil with a high clay content and I used 1/2 bag of composted manure plus 1/2 bag of top soil per hole when I planted my trees.

In the past I have used a 16" auger to drill down about 24". The hole is never an exact depth or width. For my soil type, I use one bag of cow manure and one bag of top soil per hole. I also add a shovel full of peat moss and sprinkle water absorb into each hole.

Do you mix them all together or just throw in or layer them.

I mix mine.

+1 on the Watersorb, but I also have my trees soaking in a slurry of water and watersorb seconds before planting them. When I lift the tree out of the bucket in order to plant it in the hole, its roots will be coated in watersorb.

I dump in layers. + 1 on soaking the roots in a water absorb slurry prior to planting. Here's a photo from last year's planting;

image.jpeg

Thanks. That gives me an idea how much to plan on.

Thanks. That gives me an idea how much to plan on.
Good luck with your planting!! Remember to take photo's!! My trees are scheduled for delivery around April 18th. I am going to start hailing materials this weekend.

I am going against my nature and getting as much prep work done ahead as possible. Alas, I'm also working alone on this. I am planting in 6 different sites. I have all the cages, and lumite cut and on sight along with a roll of aglock. I am digging the holes and pounding stakes this week. I just need to get the compost and top soil out to the sights and get a watering tank set up on the Ranger. Trees are coming the week of the 10th. I should be able to move along and get them in the ground pretty fast. The info on these apple tree threads can really save a lot of mistakes and headaches.

I am going against my nature and getting as much prep work done ahead as possible. Alas, I'm also working alone on this. I am planting in 6 different sites. I have all the cages, and lumite cut and on sight along with a roll of aglock. I am digging the holes and pounding stakes this week. I just need to get the compost and top soil out to the sights and get a watering tank set up on the Ranger. Trees are coming the week of the 10th. I should be able to move along and get them in the ground pretty fast. The info on these apple tree threads can really save a lot of mistakes and headaches.
That's a big job by yourself and so planning, positioning and working ahead makes GREAT sense.

Go at a measured pace and post pictures; it'll all be worth it in the end!

Good luck with your planting Buckly! Are digging by hand or drilling with an auger? I bet having a Ranger is handy, I hope to buy one someday.

I'm using a hydraulic auger on a wheeled trailer. it's only a 12" auger though so I will enlarge the hole with a spade. Ranger is electric and has preformed really well. I love it. I have some days off so, I don't anticipate any issues getting them in the ground. I just don't want it to take a week to do it. I'm planning on 2 days but, 3 or 4 if needed. I have 100's of wild apple trees on the property , some in strategic places and some not but the deer rely on them heavily. These plantings will be in strategic spots and for a specific purpose in my food plots. I have pictures of all my habitat projects, I just don't post them much but, I'll make sure I post a few up.

My soil is basically pure sand so I try and add as much as reasonable, and for me that number is 3 bags of anerobically digested dairy cow manure.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG
CrazyEd,

Have you changed your "mix" over the years? Can you explain further how you mix your manure and soil and how you plant?

CrazyEd,

Have you changed your "mix" over the years? Can you explain further how you mix your manure and soil and how you plant?

No changes really.

1. Dig a hole larger than a bushel basket.
2. Dump about 1 cup of watersorb powder in.
3. Dump in 1 bag of manure in, mix the manure, sorb and sand in the bottom of the whole up really well.
4. Dump in another bag of manure in.
5. Put the tree in.
6. Dump another bag of manure in. Backfill the rest of the hole as needed. Darker sand goes in first.
7. Put down 6'x6' 8 mil black plastic.
8. 2 bags of pea gravel.

It depends on your growth expectation. On poor to decent soil, two trees with 10 bags of manure will produce more fruit than 10 trees with two bags. Soil compaction will be your biggest issue on a clay soil. I plow the field up when planting apples and run a spreader right down the row. I use a tractor bucket full of manure for 3-4 trees. I usually get the trees to 10 feet by year three doing this, with the base about the dia of a coke can. I realize not everyone has the equipment to do this, but you can do it with a shovel for a dozen trees. My soil runs 5.5 ph and I add lime also per soil test. I would dig a 4-5' dia hole per tree, 2-3' deep spherical and use a couple bags per tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on your growth expectation. On poor to decent soil, two trees with 10 bags of manure will produce more fruit than 10 trees with two bags. Soil compaction will be your biggest issue on a clay soil. I plow the field up when planting apples and run a spreader right down the row. I use a tractor bucket full of manure for 3-4 trees. I usually get the trees to 10 feet by year three doing this, with the base about the dia of a coke can. I realize not everyone has the equipment to do this, but you can do it with a shovel for a dozen trees. My soil runs 5.5 ph and I add lime also per soil test. I would dig a 4-5' dia hole per tree, 2-3' deep spherical and use a couple bags per tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's some serious dedication:eek:, that I don't have. Of course it will probably be 20 years before I get to eat any fruit from my own trees ;).

" 4-5' dia. hole 2-3' deep." Yikes!!. I see your point though.

I laid out all my bags of composted manure and soil ahead so as to save some time. It seems certain critters like to tear open the bags. I'm guessing raccoon but maybe coyotes. A couple bags half tore apart!

That's some serious dedication:eek:, that I don't have. Of course it will probably be 20 years before I get to eat any fruit from my own trees ;).

With B118, you could start getting fruit by year 3 if you plant them right and choose a precocious variety. Antanovka and M111, year 6-10

Well, I'm headed over to Cummins tomorrow to pick up my trees. I'm really looking forward to getting them in the ground. I'm prepared, I think! I have taken some pictures of my prep so far and I'll take quite a few of the planting. I promise!