All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can’t get over the New Jersey part. LOL. Ok,Ok I’ll admit it I’ve known people that go to the beach in NJ every year, maybe even your place , I don’t know. They keep inviting me I just can’t .
We go every year and get a house with another family. This will be our 5th year if it doesn’t get cancelled. I was so against going the first time. Didn’t think I was a beach guy, would much rather sit at my camp for a week. I was very wrong, we have a great time and it has become our favorite vacation. We go to Ocean City which is a dry town. It is nice because we can let the 4 kids go off on their own without worrying about drunk idiots. Bill, where are your places? We talk about buying a rental place down there every year but I can’t get the other family to pull the trigger.

Some people do not understand the importance of a quiet serene fishing spot watching the sunrise ... beautiful! :emoji_thumbsup:

Sunset but you’re right. That’s actually my son on sunset beach. It’s at the bottom of the Delaware bay where the bay meets the ocean. Faces west, thus the sunset beach part. The kid is happiest with a fishing pole in his hand. He hits this spot after work if anything is running and there isn’t time to get in the boat.

We go to Ocean City which is a dry town. It is nice because we can let the 4 kids go off on their own without worrying about drunk idiots. Bill, where are your places? We talk about buying a rental place down there every year but I can’t get the other family to pull the trigger.

Ocean city is a nice family town. We actually started our search in O.C. and ended it in Cape May. OC was a bit over built for us. 25 years ago it was mostly single family homes. Now it seems they’ve been replaced by 3 story, 3 home units. Cape May isn’t a dry town but it’s not the typical beach “party” town either. Cops wouldn’t have it, nor would the residents. Not that there aren’t some drunks at 2:00 AM if your out.

Sunset but you’re right. That’s actually my son on sunset beach. It’s at the bottom of the Delaware bay where the bay meets the ocean. Faces west, thus the sunset beach part. The kid is happiest with a fishing pole in his hand. He hits this spot after work if anything is running and there isn’t time to get in the boat.

Ocean city is a nice family town. We actually started our search in O.C. and ended it in Cape May. OC was a bit over built for us. 25 years ago it was mostly single family homes. Now it seems they’ve been replaced by 3 story, 3 home units. Cape May isn’t a dry town but it’s not the typical beach “party” town either. Cops wouldn’t have it, nor would the residents. Not that there aren’t some drunks at 2:00 AM if your out.

Been awhile since I've gone but it's nice on south Padre Island and Port Aransas down on the gulf. Sunrises and sunsets are beautiful.

Attachments

• P5290132.JPG
    P5290132.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 16
I had some high school friends in Northeast PA that surfed in Jersey for years. Somebody had an old camper near the beach. It was a 3-4hr drive so it was easy to go any weekend they were free. The guys with the right gear surfed all winter long.

Years ago we would vacation at Rehoboth beach, Delaware. Beautiful, but the water was way too cold for a southern boy

Years ago we would vacation at Rehoboth beach, Delaware. Beautiful, but the water was way too cold for a southern boy

we can take a ferry from here to Lewes DE, Rehoboth is right below that. I can guarantee it’s change since you’ve been there. Two dudes in flip flops holding hands isn’t a strange sight down there :emoji_man_dancing::emoji_man_dancing::emoji_astonished:

we can take a ferry from here to Lewes DE, Rehoboth is right below that. I can guarantee it’s change since you’ve been there. Two dudes in flip flops holding hands isn’t a strange sight down there :emoji_man_dancing::emoji_man_dancing::emoji_astonished:
That must be a sight... Two men hunting for their 'jewels' on Shrinky Dink beach! :emoji_smirk:

As far as the PPP and SBA... I dont intend to sign up for anything. I have some cash reserves built up, lived within my means for the last 10 years and if I don't have to pull a paycheck from work for awhile, I wont. We're an essential business in teh sanitation world, so we may slow down, but I don't think we'll completely stop. So I feel I'm gonna pass on it and let someone who needs it, get it. And I don't wanna take that handout. I'd rather have no teat than the govt teat. JMO. Some people will need it, and I won't look down on them. But I don't see this shutting my personal business down, so my I'll try to make it on my own.

Sewer lines will keep backing up and septic tanks will need to be pumped. If we need to do some price concessions to keep the wheels turning, we will.

There was a post about the low number of cases in California and a news piece speculating why. One story I read this morning noted that California has only reported results on 33000 of 92500 tests. If their pending tests has the same positive rate, they'd be closer to 25000 confirmed cases than 10000 right now. Still much lower than NY in total numbers and per capita but it doesn't look like CA is that special.

covidtracking.com/data pulling data from https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx), on 4/1, Cali reported test results on 9191 positives on 33000 tests and no results yet on 59500 tests.

But what does it mean if you test positive and show no symptoms? Are they counting that as having the virus? That's not standard procedure in these things. Another good article from a Scientist/Professor Microbiologist. But again the sky is falling right? Your name is so fitting.

https://scientists4wiredtech.com/20...bhakdi-to-german-chancellor-dr-angela-merkel/

From MN ministry of health (We have 5.7 million people in MN).....

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

-789 confirmed out of 24,227 tested (3.2% positive test-the % of positives slowly increased and now leveled off the last few days)
-156 of the 789 have been hospitalized
-86 in the hospital today
-40 in ICU beds today
-22 dead from COVID 19 (average age of death is 84) range of 58-95 years old
-410 of 789 are considered recovered (we didnt have 410 total cases until 5 days ago)
-141 dead from the flu, over 4,000 hospitalized this season in MN (including 3 pediatrics dead) https://kstp.com/health/flu-related-deaths-minnesota-april-2-2020-update/5690470/
-We aren't seeing a dramatic spike in cases here, instead its pretty flat so far for the last 10 days. We had our first positive 5 days after New York.
-Testing activity is still piss poor from everything I hear (wife gets daily update from Health Partners). Wife had 10 people in ER last night. Didnt test any of them cause of the lack of test. ALL had Covid symptoms
-Vast majority of positive cases are in the 20-44 year old range (316) and 45-64 (248).
-Private labs are doing the majority of test now. The MN ministry of health seem to be having some trouble getting their shit together. They have notified they have stopped testing.
-All data is unreliable to me since we still dont know the infection rate. CNN reported the other day that 50% are asymptomatic according to a lab in Iceland. The CDC director said 1 of 4 people could be asymptomatic. WE NEED THE TEST to figure this shit out. Maybe 25-50% of people have already had this and a bunch didnt even know it.

I don’t think we will see real viable numbers for data for at least a year. Of course I don’t know squat. That’s just a guess.

The real tell will be if they figure out a blood test for antibodies to confirm post-infection patients that never got tested due to test kit/infrastructure limitations.

Currently, only small groups of people (typically critical infrastructure employees only) are being tested prophylactically so we have very limited understanding of asymptomatic percentages.

Without availability to the test for John-Q public, the numbers will be WAY out of wack for a long time.
I am betting it ends up well sub-1% mortality once the mild cases and asymptomatic cases are better understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real tell will be if they figure out a blood test for antibodies to confirm post-infection patients that never got tested due to test kit/infrastructure limitations.

First such test was approved by FDA yesterday. They cant get them made fast enough for me. For all we know there has been 25 million people already infected. All the data is garbage until we really know how many people have been infected.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...test-track-immunity-test-vaccines/5116281002/

saw the university of pittsburgh thinks they may have a vaccine. It worked in mice, and shows promise.

We need to be done with this thing.

Chukker66, I'm not sure what you get out of Herr Doktor's letter. Do you agree with him that only people showing symptoms can be counted even though asymptomatic transmission is important? I wouldn't have started his argument that way but it is very German to insist on following the rules of his academic field even if they don't fit the situation. If only symptomatic people were infectious, this would have been contained in Wuhan and we'd all be living our normal lives today.

saw the university of pittsburgh thinks they may have a vaccine. It worked in mice, and shows promise.

We need to be done with this thing.
I think there over a dozen vaccine trials out there now. The reality is that they’re all on the same schedule. 1 year until fully tested.

I think there over a dozen vaccine trials out there now. The reality is that they’re all on the same schedule. 1 year until fully tested.
Shit lets roll them out now. Maybe one of the unintended side effects is some kind of superpower.

They’ve hinted but haven’t committed. About October one way or another. Then again this may all be gone by then so they can wait. If it continues though yes I do think they will roll out not fully tested vaccine in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.