Conex/shipping container for storage

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Do any of you guys use a conex/shipping container for storage. I'm contemplating a small tractor in the next year but already have an ATV disc, cultipacker, walk behind spreader etc...filling up my garage at home. I only have a two car garage and with a tractor on the horizon I'll need storage at my campground. I'll keep the tractor at home. I've got a carport out there now that was there when I bought the property. I'm just using it to store firewood. I could certainly store some of my stuff under the carport but while I haven't had any trespassers yet I don't want anything to be able to just walk away either.

I have two containers and love mine. Very secure just make sure you put a vent in it before putting to much in them. They are very air tight.

Last edited:
We use one, and they are awesome. Just pour a couple good concrete piers under the weight bearing spots and call it done. Ours makes up the north wall of one of the barns at my dad's place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like mine as well. Mine is insulate with 2" foam board and then covered with plywood. Considerably cooler inside it than outside on a hot day! 2 side vents on the bottom and a wind turbine type vent on top.

IMG_3270.JPG Just got one a month ago. I let you know how it works a year from now. :)

I've got one an am thinkng of adding another. I built a lean-too on mine. I'd post a pic but PB isn't cooperating today.

Red, are you interested in sharing what you paid for that? And who you got it from?

$2,500 delivered. Maybe could have found a cheaper one if we looked long enough but this one was in real good condition. 40'er.
Out of a place in St. Cloud, MN.

I'm still happy with mine, but would rather it was a high cube since the ROPS needs to be lowered on my tractor to park it inside. That's not a problem for most of you guys since you're not dealing with a full size utility tractor like I am.

As others have stated, put some upgraded ventilation in it. The heat from the tractor will cause moisture issues with condensation on the steel.

Good point. Forgot to mention that mine is a high cube for the same reason. Got to get to ROPS in since mine doesn't fold down.

Yea shop around if you are not in a hurry. Go look at it before you buy it as there are some rough ones out there. Seems like there is a guy on every "corner" selling them around here now.

Scrap prices are down, so inventories are up since it's cheaper to buy them at auction and there's more players getting into the trading of containers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys are on borrowed time with what they have tied up in inventory that was bought when prices were up.

Been seeing ads for 40' HC's out of Mpls for $1800. If I had the spot cleared to turn a truck around, I'd probably already have one. It's a good time to buy, but as was mentioned - be sure of the unit you're getting and shop it out with a few sellers to make sure you're getting a deal.

I would love to eventually do something like this some day. This is a 60X80 barn with 4 conex's making up the walls, and wooden trusses across. Tons of dry storage, and covered parking...
7fb19ed7ea7510ad46923be00dbee4e5.jpg

My dad has 3 20' and 3 40' loves them. They came from the place in around st. cloud mentioned above. They are all in great condition and the guys were easy to work with.

I would love to eventually do something like this some day. This is a 60X80 barn with 4 conex's making up the walls, and wooden trusses across. Tons of dry storage, and covered parking...

You might have a tough time getting a building permit approved for that depending on your area. It might not be a concern in some areas, but when I built my cabin/garage combo in Wisconsin the permit step was far more complicated than I expected.

You might have a tough time getting a building permit approved for that depending on your area. It might not be a concern in some areas, but when I built my cabin/garage combo in Wisconsin the permit step was far more complicated than I expected.

Without snow loads to consider, building codes are pretty liberal down here in rural Texas. Especially if it isn't a domicile. Heck, we haven't gotten a permit at all for the last two pole barns. The county just added them to the next year's assessed value....

Without snow loads to consider, building codes are pretty liberal down here in rural Texas. Especially if it isn't a domicile. Heck, we haven't gotten a permit at all for the last two pole barns. The county just added them to the next year's assessed value....

Wouldn't try that up here. In my county you give the board $500 maybe more now to consider getting a permit. If the board declines your request they still keep the cash !

That dude sounds like some kind of prepper for sure. 4 families, one in each conex? I couldn't get my wife to walk into one, much less live there!

-John

I think if I had the room and money to do that container building I'd just build a pole barn with some living quarters. My space is somewhat limited anyway so I'd be looking at a 20 footer. I doubt that either my road or my campground would have enough room for the truck to turn around with a 40 footer. I'm glad to hear that so many of you have had success with them. I am guilty of having so many ideas of things I want to do that I have to work hard at prioritizing them. Clean things up - check,access trails - check, food plots - check, water source - check, hinge cut - in progress, hire a dozer - in progress, gravel parking and camping area - not yet, new fire pit - not yet, tractor - not yet, storage - not yet, orchard - maybe next year if the dozer guy works out. I'm sure I'm the only one with those issues right?