Winter storage issues

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
Got my grain drill cleaned out well.....and stuffed some dryer sheets in the seed cups - mice and insect repellant.

Disconnected my well pump and drained and stored it. Ran some -50 RV antifreeze thu my weed sprayer and my foam marker.

I always leave my herbicides on the shelf......never had an issue with them.

QUESTION: How many guys leave battery power tools in cold garage for the winter? I have 1/2 dozen lithium Ion battery powered tools......and its a PITA to haul them home to store for the winter. Wondering if it's necessary?

Other good winter tips? I got to OZ for the month of October......then back for November deer season........so I do this stuff pretty early.

Will put Battery Tender Jr's on all ATV and tractor batteries in November.

Last edited:
I can speak for DeWalt 20v. They sit in our shop year round and we are on 5+ years with no issues whatsoever.

I leave my dewalt where it lays also.

Man those battery tenders scare me. seems like a fire waiting to happen. They're brought to you from the same folks that unleashed the China virus.
I just disconnect the battery positive cable.

I blow out the plumbing but I installed a manoblock system so I can do 1 at a time.
Always fill the mouse poison bait station when I leave.

Put wood and/or cardboard under any batteries or liquids on concrete or gravel.

Clean out sprayers and run a weak solution of antifreeze through them. Also put antifreeze down any drains like at the cleaning stations.

I bring all of my batteries home, except for the wheeler and lawn mower. I've had the same two Makita batteries for 11 years, and they're doing well. I do leave the wheeler and lawn mower batteries hooked up. I should maybe disconnect them, but I do make a trek in there around the middle of the winter and fire both up and let them run for a good ten minutes.

I've had such good luck (long life) with batteries that are on a Battery Tender Jr. Batteries seem to last forever thus managed. Not some cheap Horrible Freight unit.....but the real deal. I've not heard of fire issues with them??.

I've been storing my power tool batteries at home in some warm space. I guess I will keep doing so. I've read it's better to not leave them hooked up to their charger long term. Dunno.

The cordless batteries on chargers start alot of fires but not as many when not on chargers

I think chargers are getting g “smarter” but I have read that overcharging batteries is far worse than leaving them in the cold for battery life. As Hoyt said, it is good practice to put something between a battery and concrete/gravel. Sounds like you are making some good moves already. Should be in good shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple things to consider...
- Disconnect all power cords to appliances, electronics, etc.
- Shut off any gas supply such as propane to buildings
- Hang mouse repellent or mothballs in tractor, ATV, etc. motor/electrical wiring area.
- I store seed in 35 gal metal trash cans with lids. It only takes 1 mouse to start a village
- Spray corrosion resistant spray on metal fittings like pto shaft/gear coupler, seeder motor shaft, etc.
- Desiccant in tool storage
- Stabil in all fuel tanks

I use the battery charger below
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the best reloading mouse traps I have found is below.