Cone flower, black eyes Susan, etc seed collection

D

dipper

Guys when's the best time to harvest seed from these types of flowers? I never seem to get the timing right? I've got a ton of the white flower with middle center drying up, and a couple others.

watch the stems, not the seed head/flower. when the stem turns brown right below the seed head, the seed should be mature, you are good.

you can also tap the seed head into your hand, if seeds fall out you are good.

What is the best way to store the seed? Brown paper bag and then let it sit?

Thanks ed, I got 2 ounces of lupine. U described the pods as shattering. I'd call it exploding. Haha I had them drying on a work bench, and they were literally shooting seed all over when as the pod exploded. I had to cover them up.

Initially I store seed heads in paper bags until they dry down, once the head dries up and the seed freely comes out I screen out the chaff and store seeds in plastic bags.

Lupine is a tricky one, I missed out on about half mine this year as a heat wave opened up many of the pods.

watch the stems, not the seed head/flower. when the stem turns brown right below the seed head, the seed should be mature, you are good.

you can also tap the seed head into your hand, if seeds fall out you are good.

Great advice Ed ... thank you!

I too always miss the timing for collection.

Loaded up on the spiderwort and the Black-eyed Susan are going to be prime real soon.
What about butterfly weed. Is the seed right under the flowers? It is starting to dry up. I really like butterfly weed.

Loaded up on the spiderwort and the Black-eyed Susan are going to be prime real soon.
What about butterfly weed. Is the seed right under the flowers? It is starting to dry up. I really like butterfly weed.

butterfly milkweed have pods. I think all milkweed have pods. the key is to wait for pods to start to brown upon the outside, then open a pod and see if the seeds inside the pod are brown. if they are white or green it's not ready and you should really wait. Probably have a ways to go on this species, I think we typically gather hunting season is open. we gather lots of common, butterfly, and whirled milkweed on our land.

you can also watch for the pods to start bursting on their own, that is another sign it is harvest time.

A couple years ago we had tons and tons of coneflowers up by us. You don't see hardly any at all this year. Instead, we've got black eyed susan all over the place this year.

Hey Dipper you should see Pods on your butterfly milkweeds now. Since 8/6 to now the pods in my yard have gone from pea sized to full sized now (4"). Now we just need to wait for the seeds to mature. The outsides of the pods should begin to turn a shade of brown, then you can peak inside one and the seeds should be brown as well. When the seeds are brown they are ready.