COMPOSTING

Meat add mean bugs to your pile. Attracts pests more too.

What do you guys think about compost heavy on coffee grinds?

Was reading about coffee grinds and only some things do well with them. Maybe a separate pile for different trees and shrubs. Blue berries were one plant that likes some coffee grounds if mixed to the correct ratios. Coffee grounds are supposed to deter slugs too.

My pile is very heavy with coffee grounds. It hasn't seemed to affect anything. I would think it's a bit on the acidic side. Not sure how much though.
I am playing with coffee grounds for my chickens bedding right now so the amounts in the compost will be much lower for now.

“I am playing with coffee grounds for my chickens bedding right now so the amounts in the compost will be much lower for now.”

You‘ve gotten my attention, Please enlighten us

Just something I have been reading and watching on you tube. Dried used coffee grounds in lieu of wood shavings or straw. It's supposed to work at lowering odor, be super absorbent, and my hunch is the acidity should help with bugs and mites.
Currently I'm seeing just how long it will take the accumulate enough to even try. I'm planning on asking the coffee shop in town to save me their grounds , just not sure yet how I would dry that many at a time yet.

Composting could take care of most of the body, but the bones and skull would still be there!
I’m no expert on the matter. Apparently after 30 days you sift the bones out and crush them up, then resume composting for another 30 days.

Very interesting Bill. I have some extended family who own a restaurant, may have to tell them to save me the grounds although I think everything nowadays is in a package of some sort and not loose.
As for the bones in the compost I thought that’s what backhoes were for 🤔😁

I'm just going to start small and probably have a growing pile every year. Plenty of grass and leaves to mix in but want to try for a good balance that will make some quality compost down the road. Probably start with an open pile on the edge of my yard for convenience. I don't have any livestock to get fertilizer. Just the thought of how much I've just thrown away bothers me that it could be used for something. On an open pile that gets turned with my tractor would it be a good idea to throw some black plastic on top to help create heat in the pile or would I be doing more harm than good with plastic? Anybody add any extra worms or does that just work itself out? Thanks for the replies!

I wouldn't cover it, I think it needs to breath and get water. When it gets to working it will make it's own heat.

I wouldn't cover it, I think it needs to breath and get water. When it gets to working it will make it's own heat.
They make composting bins and you can make your own. You do need to water them from time to time. Some you can roll to help mix. They probably make things work slightly faster. I just use a pile since I have a loader that I could use. A neighbor had some trees cut down and chipped. I told the contractor he could just dump the chips in my back yard. Each time I mowed the grass, I'd push the grass debris into the pile. They say the optimal depth is about 5'. As it cooked down, I'd use the loader on my tractor to pile it back up and mix it a bit. The chipped wood provided the C and the grass clippings provided the N.

You realize you guys are now on an fbi watchlist for this right?
This is not in jest. I assumed everyone knows it’s legal now.

New York has become the sixth state in the United States to legalize natural organic reduction, popularly known as human composting, as a method of burial.

There have been some really neat things done with compost. I always wanted to build one outta wood chips and trapped next raiders. Notice the difference in the two systems below. The iowa hog compost site could probably be smelled from 5 miles away, and Joel's probably only smelled like wood chips and the pig pen next to it.

When covid hit and all the hog plants were shut down, the ones that got too big were killed and composted. I wouldn't spread composted science hogs on my land, but it's been done i guess.

Joel Salatin also composts all his chicken guts, and he even talks about composting an entire cow in his system.

I like the slowest compost system of all: Hugulkultur.

hill gardening.jpg

Last edited:
They make composting bins and you can make your own. You do need to water them from time to time. Some you can roll to help mix. They probably make things work slightly faster. I just use a pile since I have a loader that I could use. A neighbor had some trees cut down and chipped. I told the contractor he could just dump the chips in my back yard. Each time I mowed the grass, I'd push the grass debris into the pile. They say the optimal depth is about 5'. As it cooked down, I'd use the loader on my tractor to pile it back up and mix it a bit. The chipped wood provided the C and the grass clippings provided the N.
What kind of time frame from dumping into the and having compost ready to be used?

What kind of time frame from dumping into the and having compost ready to be used?
For me it was between 1 and 2 years. Keep in mind that the initial dump was all C (wood chips). Over the next year or so, I added the grass clippings and mixed a bit each time I cut the lawn. I think things can go much quicker if you balance the C and N from the start and they are well mixed. I did not add any food scraps as many do.

I use the Berkeley method for compost. It takes a few weeks for it to be ready. I also have a long-term compost pile that is mostly woody things that don't break down quickly in the Berkeley compost bays.

I use the Berkeley method for compost. It takes a few weeks for it to be ready. I also have a long-term compost pile that is mostly woody things that don't break down quickly in the Berkeley compost bays.
Whats the berkeley method?

Has anyone had an issue with their compost pile starting on fire? I can recall my grandparents having a fire that then started a grass fire all started from the compost pile. But I was maybe 10 at the time, and can’t recall much for details.

Whats the berkeley method?

It's a specific ratio of nitrogen to carbon and turned regularly to keep it aerobic. I tweak it a little based on what's available, but I try to at least use the general method to decompose my compost. Works very well. Will even digest a whole chicken or rabbit.

Composting has been an accepted - and approved - manner for disposing of livestock carcasses, for many years... has even been employed as a method of 'disposing of' large marine mammal (whales) carcasses - allowing retrieval and re-assembly of the skeletal remains for display.

But not nearly as much fun to think about as these:

We don't generate enough 'food waste' in our household to drive a compost bin. But... for nearly 30 years, virtually every piece of paper (junk mail, envelopes, discarded school papers, etc.) or cardboard that has passed through our front door has gone out the back door and into a gully below the nearby farmpond spillway as 'erosion control' material, along with every limb that's fallen or been pruned off of trees in the yard & orchard, all scrap lumber from various farm building projects, etc.

Here's my compost bin. I used black locust. It's got 3 bays all in different stages of composting. We compost all of our kitchen scraps except bones and beef, chicken fish scraps only because I'd have black bears ripping this thing apart if I did. Not too high tech. I turn it over by hand with a pitchfork every now and then and we use the compost in our garden. IMG_3527.JPG