Clover is the bomb!

ACCMan

5 year old buck +
I planted two strips of sorghum with Lab Lab growing in the sorghum, and in the middle austrian winter peas, purple top turnip, cereal rye. Then a continuation of cereal rye and buckwheat. At the far end I planted clover, cereal rye, wheat, and a few purple top turnips. The deer are walking through the entire plot and killing the clover, wish I would have planted more. This is my first food plot and well pleased with the results. I had a pic this morning of a big 10 point in the plot and the does are tearing it up.20181101_125530_resized.jpg

which lover did you plant? looks great and I also am a fan of clover, I have 4 different in use, trying to see which does best for me. I use crimson clover in my fall plots, trying balansa, in another, durana in another, and continuing with medium red.

It is a mix of white, red, and durana. There is some type of brassica in there and for the life of me I don't remember planting it. The deer come in and quickly browse straight to the clover, and have started traveling inside the woods parallel to the field until they get to the clover plot. I've got to get a stand down at the clover plot. This brute was in the clover last night.12050332.JPG

Deer are like women, you cannot figure them out 100% of the time. If I were you I would still plant the mix because next year at this time they will be hitting something else hard!!! Lol

That is my plan. This could be the first year this bunch of deer have seen brassicas at all so it may take a little time for them to hit them. I am convinced the way to go is give them the whole salad bar and let them figure out what they want, then once they have cleaned out the most palatable they will move on to something else. I just want to keep something there so they will hang on my property and not leave for uncharted territory.

I planted a couple of acres of Alyce white clover with my dbltree mix mid August, then no rain for 4 weeks. It finally started mid September after some rain, but it stayed pretty small. I am worried it won’t do well over the winter. I have about 5-6 pounds left from the 25 pound bag that I will frost seed in March. The oats/winter rye/ gfr all thrived even with the ground being really dry.
Does anyone know how big the leaves usually get by November.?
The leaves on my clover were smaller than 1/4” diameter.

I have about an acre of clover. They barely touch it. But the weeds get nice and tall in it! A little of half of this was an old camp site, and was mostly gravel, so I planted winter rye, and clover in it, amended it, and left it. It’s been 4 years and the clover still comes in decent, I add winter rye to it every summer, but the deer rarely touch it. Oh well, I am trying to make better soil, and it is for sure doing that. I will give it one more year and nuke it, and try planting something else.

I planted a couple of acres of Alyce white clover with my dbltree mix mid August, then no rain for 4 weeks. It finally started mid September after some rain, but it stayed pretty small. I am worried it won’t do well over the winter. I have about 5-6 pounds left from the 25 pound bag that I will frost seed in March. The oats/winter rye/ gfr all thrived even with the ground being really dry.
Does anyone know how big the leaves usually get by November.?
The leaves on my clover were smaller than 1/4” diameter.
Did you plant Alyce or Alice clover? I have planted a lot of Alice in the last several years here in GA but never any Alyce, it performs very similar to Durana but is quite a bit cheaper.

Did you plant Alyce or Alice clover? I have planted a lot of Alice in the last several years here in GA but never any Alyce, it performs very similar to Durana but is quite a bit cheaper.

Sorry it is Alice white clover. I was falling asleep at the time I posted that. $125 shipped for a 25 pound bag. Not sure how good of a price that is.
Just following dbltee recommendation.
I just hope it makes it

Sorry it is Alice white clover. I was falling asleep at the time I posted that. $125 shipped for a 25 pound bag. Not sure how good of a price that is.
Just following dbltee recommendation.
I just hope it makes it
I thought maybe it was a typo but checking, that’s a better priced than I got from Welter this year. I have been very happy with it, I hope it does well for you too.

could be just due to the fact some of them other things don;'t draw deer really till some frost hit them and when that happens, the clover will pucker up and NOT be much of a draw, so be glad you have a mix IMO
other things will appeal to them at different times

I planted a plot with Alice for the first time this fall. I also mixed in Oasis Chicory and also a red clover. I cant remember off hand if it was Freedom medium red or Marathon red clover. I'm looking forward to seeing how the clovers perform. I know they will hammer the Oasis.

I will probably frost seed chickory along with more Alice white clover I have left over from the fall planting. My ground is a sandy loam and can gets dry pretty quickly so the chickory will be good insurance in case there is not much rain.
I planted a “buck in a bag” mix my nephew bought a few years ago that had chickory in it. There were so many leopard frogs in it I had to stop mowing it.
Its good to see those amphibians coming back like that. For many years they were pretty rare even though I have the river and so much wetland around here.