Clonally Propagating Seedling Rootstock

A2D2R2

Yearling... With promise
Is it possible to clonally propagate seedling rootstock like Antonovka or Dolgo? Would there be any drawbacks to clonally propagating the seedling rootstock vs. growing from Seed?

I'm not sure you are using the correct terms. Propagating by seed and propagating by cloning does not give identical results. Propagating by seed gives you a genetically different tree. Therefore it is not a clone of the parent.

Propagating by cloning gives you a new, genetically identical plant. Sometimes too identical (as explained below).
Rooting clones are made by dividing the roots. Each separate root becomes its own identical (cloned) tree.
Tissue cloning takes a cell of a plant, tests are done to verify the cell has no viruses, and then the cell is grown into a plant (virus free).

The difference between M7 rootstock and EMLA-7 rootstock is that EMLA-7 rootstock in grown from an M-7 rootstock clean of pathogens (bacterium, virus, or other microorganism that can cause disease). When transplanted the tissue cloned tree will pick up pathogens as any other plant but in its beginning it is very healthy, strong, and vigorous.

So to answer the question "Are there any drawbacks to clonal propagating roots of seedling rootstock?" The answer is, yes. As described above. But if you don't have a laboratory to grow your roots cells in --free of pathogens-- then root propagating is your best method.

So, if you will want to multiply your rootstocks all you have to do is separate them and you get a clone. There are several ways to do that that is google searchable. Many nurseries do this to save the money on buying rootstocks. If you only want a few (to a few) dozen trees you usually save time by buying the rootstocks and grafting your own trees at a minimal cost.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Prof.Kent So when you typically purchase Antonovka and/or Dolgo Rootstock are these rootstocks typically grown from seed or cloned?

Thank you Prof.Kent So when you typically purchase Antonovka and/or Dolgo Rootstock are these rootstocks typically grown from seed or cloned?

Dolgo are usually seedlings. They are great rootstock and also great for wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how each is propagated. Root propagation is quicker, so I think most nurseries that propagate rootstocks do it that way.

Is it possible to clonally propagate seedling rootstock like Antonovka or Dolgo? Would there be any drawbacks to clonally propagating the seedling rootstock vs. growing from Seed?

If your intent is simply to produce more rootstock with the same characteristics, the method typically used is called stooling. You can did this yourself, but it takes some time and effort. Clonal rootstock is pretty inexpensive.

Thanks,

Jack

Both seedling dolgo and antonovka cost about the same as clonal apple rootstocks, around $2 to $4 delivered depending on how many you buy and where you buy them from. Given that, I don't see any reason why you'd want to clonally propagate seedlings. Of course, every rootstock started out as a seedling. Those that are now clonally propagated were selected in part because they were easy to propagate by stooling or stoolbeds. Every apple rootstock I've ever bought have been propagated by stooling. Stooling should work with all apples but some may root better than others. Some apples can be propagated by rooting hardwood cuttings but it may be difficult or impossible for some apples. It helps to develop a good rooting process for a particular apple. Pear rootstocks tend to be seedling or clones through hardwood cutting (OHxF series).

You could try stooling or rooting cuttings of Dolgo or Antonovka but I don't see a good reason to do so. If you want cheaper seedling rootstock, I'd say grow your own seedlings.