Chokecherry for lawn tree?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Good idea, or bad idea? I’m in heavy bear country. Also don’t want to attract birds to crap all over my building. Wondering if I’ll be inviting that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your goal for the yard tree?

They spread after about 3 years

What’s your goal for the yard tree?

-Shade for cabin
-Permaculture/doomsday interests
-Get grouse on the yard
-Eat grouse
-Leaves for garden and composting operation

My other ideas were sugar maple or more apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got some red maple flagged out in my woods I could dig up and bring up front. I want the summer shade, and then the light to get through in the winter in case I'm still on solar when they get big.

I've got a bunch of chokecherries coming and I'll get them planted all over the property.

If you can mow the yard, I can’t see why you wouldn’t ? If it suckers you can just mow it .

Eastern Hop-hornbeam is really an excellent grouse tree they love the seed pods

Red splendor crabapple on their own rootstock is my choice if you want to have baked grouse for supper and a little shade in the summer. They typically keep their fruit through the winter for the grouse to eat when other food options are limited. The chokecherry trees/shrubs by my house typically drop their fruit earlier in the fall when there are lots of other food options available.

If you wanted to make that red splendor crabapple tree valuable for your doomsday planning, you could let the tree grow for a few years and then graft different apple varieties on a half dozen different branches. You could have fresh fruit from August through November and then some bonus grouse meat when they show up to clean up the red splendor crabapple branches.

Red splendor crabapple on their own rootstock is my choice if you want to have baked grouse for supper and a little shade in the summer. They typically keep their fruit through the winter for the grouse to eat when other food options are limited. The chokecherry trees/shrubs by my house typically drop their fruit earlier in the fall when there are lots of other food options available.

If you wanted to make that red splendor crabapple tree valuable for your doomsday planning, you could let the tree grow for a few years and then graft different apple varieties on a half dozen different branches. You could have fresh fruit from August through November and then some bonus grouse meat when they show up to clean up the red splendor crabapple branches.
You had me at baked grouse and doomsday.

You had me at baked grouse and doomsday.
I planted red splendor crabapple trees around the edge of my cabin yard to draw in grouse and it works well. I'm not above bagging a grouse on the edge of the yard.

I also planted a couple of eater apple trees in the middle of the yard for future shade over my fish cleaning picnic table. I didn't want a big tree there that could eventually fall on my cabin, but a standard sized apple tree should get 25'+ tall and provide plenty of shade.

Buy U a JJ McCarthy chokecherry!

Only costs 3. #1s

I concur with red splendor crab. A few years ago I was coming out of the woods and saw a grouse sitting in a fence line apple tree picking away at the little crab apples. Grabbed the BB gun and he didn't make it. I had him for supper shortly afterwards. The only grouse I have ever killed. His gullet was FULL of little apples.

I have since planted all kinds of red splendor crabs in my woods specifically for the grouse. They grow fantastic in my part of the world. I have 10 more coming this year for $18. Bareroots from the NRCS. Super easy to plant. They look real pretty when they are blooming in the spring too. The ones I plant this year will likely go by my deer stands so I have some grouse amusement in the deer stand someday.

IMG_2566.JPGIMG_2567.JPGIMG_2569.JPG

We have had snow 2 times in the last week. We have a little ornamental crab tree in the front yard and the neighbor has some other type of crap apple. The robins showed up BIGTIME to clean up on all the little fruits hanging on these two trees. Haven't noticed any shit on my house yet, but my daughter's kitten is sure getting lots of good entertainment from these big fat robins. The last heavy snow knocked a bunch more onto the ground. When it warms up they will be out in force cleaning them up. Probably had 100-125 robins taking turns cleaning them up a few days ago before the heavy snow.

IMG_9421.JPEGIMG_9422.JPEGIMG_9423.JPEGIMG_9424.JPEGIMG_9429.JPEG

We have had snow 2 times in the last week. We have a little ornamental crab tree in the front yard and the neighbor has some other type of crap apple. The robins showed up BIGTIME to clean up on all the little fruits hanging on these two trees. Haven't noticed any shit on my house yet, but my daughter's kitten is sure getting lots of good entertainment from these big fat robins. The last heavy snow knocked a bunch more onto the ground. When it warms up they will be out in force cleaning them up. Probably had 100-125 robins taking turns cleaning them up a few days ago before the heavy snow.

View attachment 63410View attachment 63411View attachment 63412View attachment 63413View attachment 63414
Birds eat our small-sized, yard crab apples too. Robins, cedar waxwings, cardinals, titmice - all good to watch. That's pretty tame-looking habitat compared to your usual pics, Buck. How far away is your wild acreage?

^^^

187 miles from my house to the hunting land. I also live 10-15 miles from all of my crop ground that I farm.

187 miles is not a skip across the street. It's around 135 miles for me to get to camp. Gotta make use of every minute while there.