Chinese chestnut growth

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
I planted several bare root Chinese chestnut seedlings from the pa game commission nursery, while most are only halfway up in my homemade tubes, this one came out of the tube and then some, to the point where i added a cage, then a few weeks later i had to add to the cage.
4233fa666add230566222beaebeff4e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nice work!

Go to see that one excel. As long as the others are green and growing means you are giving them what they want.

Congrats 2 u.

That's a good looking tree. You are doing the right thing by caging it early on.

Yep. I'm taking a big risk this year. In the past, I found the deer were not specifically attracted to my chestnuts, but they would take a bite when browsing by. They didn't kill trees, but they bit off the central leader and I got bushes. After that, I started tubing them. Our deer number have been down for a bit. I decided to give another shot at planting without protection again this year. I guess time will tell...

If I were only planting a hand full of trees, I'd cage them. I think chestnuts do better in cages than tubes but tubes will protect them and are less expensive. Since I plant hundreds, I'm trying to minimize cost and work associated with each tree.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted several bare root Chinese chestnut seedlings from the pa game commission nursery, while most are only halfway up in my homemade tubes, this one came out of the tube and then some, to the point where i added a cage, then a few weeks later i had to add to the cage.
4233fa666add230566222beaebeff4e3.jpg

Mahindra,
Tell me about your home made tree tube. What are they made of , size, and what is your cost per tube roughly ?

Very nice!

Hopefully thanks to Wayne I'll have a hundred or so like that next fall!

Mahindra,
Tell me about your home made tree tube. What are they made of , size, and what is your cost per tube roughly ?
I got the tube material from a construction sight that i was on, so it was free, it was used to protect fins on roof top units, the material was 4 ft but for some reason i cut it down to 3 ft, the next ones that i make i will leave 4 ft, if you Google clear corregated plastic sheeting it will come up with some prices on it.
520b9c1e45f850db5beecb7da3859764.jpg
61071f744f8326cac73a305367db7b63.jpg
c3a29ffbf9cb7b21da0dbe2b92e7fd91.jpg

Thanks