Chicory?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Frost seeded chicory for the first time this spring. Is that it with the ragweed in this pic?
20180613_092635.jpg

And while I'm here, what is this growing amongst the grass, ferns, and wild roses?
20180613_092859.jpg

chicory in the first pic

Yes, next to the ragweed.

Yep. Chicory reminds me of young leaf lettuce. Ours gets to about 10" tall.

As others have said Chicory for sure right next to the ragweed. In 2 months that ragweed will be 4-5’ tall. 160FEF91-7ABF-44BA-ACD5-6DE74F1C48D2.jpeg

As others have said, it is chicory in the first picture.

The plant in the second picture is Solomon's Seal. It's a good plant but generally not seen in large enough quantities to be significant. But, deer love to browse it.

Thanks guys, the chicory is kind of sparse, but at least there's some.

Think I'll move that Solomon's Seal to one of the flower gardens. I've got a shaded one that has some room.

Thanks guys, the chicory is kind of sparse, but at least there's some.

Think I'll move that Solomon's Seal to one of the flower gardens. I've got a shaded one that has some room.

I made the same mistake and tried to establish a chicory field this spring. I don't know how many times I've told folks not to plant a perennial like clover or chicory in the spring in my area because of weed competition. Frost seeding is the same. It works great to help fill in an established field, but there is just too much summer competition for establishment.

Like everyone else, I just got anxious. It was only one small field, but I wasted my time. I should have simply planted buckwheat for weed control and the rotated to chicory in the fall. Well, I guess I'll just see what happens and likely start over with it this fall.

Thanks,

Jack

I made the same mistake and tried to establish a chicory field this spring. I don't know how many times I've told folks not to plant a perennial like clover or chicory in the spring in my area because of weed competition. Frost seeding is the same. It works great to help fill in an established field, but there is just too much summer competition for establishment.

Like everyone else, I just got anxious. It was only one small field, but I wasted my time. I should have simply planted buckwheat for weed control and the rotated to chicory in the fall. Well, I guess I'll just see what happens and likely start over with it this fall.

Thanks,

Jack
Just think Jack how much fun you will have planting the plot again. I frost seeded a clover/chicory plot in February and the weeds are surely thick. I have a good throw of clover and chicory but I also have a dozen differert weeds.

I will probably TNM the plot with WR/Chicory/Radish/Clover in a few months.

Just think Jack how much fun you will have planting the plot again. I frost seeded a clover/chicory plot in February and the weeds are surely thick. I have a good throw of clover and chicory but I also have a dozen differert weeds.

I will probably TNM the plot with WR/Chicory/Radish/Clover in a few months.

Yes, in my area I have minimal issues with weeds in the fall. Warm season annuals can be a challenge here. Between browse pressure and weed competition, it is a tough game. Buckwheat is so fast that it works and things like milo (grain sorghum) work well because it doesn't get browse pressure until the seed heads ripen. RR forage beans worked well for a while, but marestail which isn't controlled by gly has become a problem in recent years.

My problem that I have more "fun" opportunities than I can keep up with!

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: Rit