Chicory Question

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I planted Chicory, Clover, and WR in my food plot this past fall and the Chicory looked great. I just walked the plot this afternoon and didn't see any mixed in with the clover. Does it die back completely in the winter and come back up in the spring?
Thanks,

The deer ate mine down so hard I thought it was done, I couldn't see anything left. It's starting to come up again as of this week.

I planted Chicory, Clover, and WR in my food plot this past fall and the Chicory looked great. I just walked the plot this afternoon and didn't see any mixed in with the clover. Does it die back completely in the winter and come back up in the spring?
Thanks,

It is probably browsing pressure. Keep in mind that depending on the type of clover, it can overtake the chicory fairly quickly. The clover/chicory mix worked pretty well for me with the chicory lasting a number of years before being overtaken when I was planting ladino. Since I've switched to Durana, I've stopped mixing in chicory. First, there is less value since my drought resistant Durana only goes dormant for a short period in dry summers and not at all in wetter than normal summers. Second, once established, the Durana is more aggressive and overtakes the chicory in a year or two.

Thanks,

Jack

It does appear to be deer pressure. I hope it gets ahead of the herd.

With very little browse in Virginia right now the deer and turkeys probably have had a field day with your clover/chicory/rye plot. Your clover will likely be about 1/2 inch from the ground right now. As soon as it starts to warm up and the young browse returns, you will see major growth in your plot. I have a half acre durana plot that is eaten to the ground right now. If you want to see what your plot is doing, put an exclusion cage in the plot. You should see some significant regrowth by June.

Along the lines as bbcoach......if you have decent deer numbers your plots may carry the brunt of the deer foraging until spring green up really takes off. I suspect your chicory will be back come summer.

I pulled the cameras and the deer are in the plots day and night. I didn't realize they were being utilized this much.

I pulled the cameras and the deer are in the plots day and night. I didn't realize they were being utilized this much.
Put out an exclusion cage to see just how much the deer are impacting the plot. You may need fewer deer or more food!