Chicken in the woods?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I'm not into mushrooms much, but do occasionally hunt a few dry land fish while turkey hunting in the spring.

Found this the other day while out messing around, and think its what they call chicken in the woods. What can you tell me about it?

I'm not into mushrooms much, but do occasionally hunt a few dry land fish while turkey hunting in the spring.

Found this the other day while out messing around, and think its what they call chicken in the woods. What can you tell me about it?

Was having problems replying in the last post. Having to re-sign in seems to have fixed that.

Looks like Chicken of the Woods to me or COW. Is it growing on an oak stump? More pics would be good for a positive id. Many folks consider them very good eats, the one you found may be almost at the too mature to eat the best, but still good to eat stage. There are at least two variations, and you found the more white of the two. The other is more yellow.

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice any stumps nearby, but didn't remove the mushroom so I guess there could have been a small stump under it. I found this in a sanctuary area that I usually only walk through once in the spring. Logging went on there last year. I don't have a lot of acres of timber, so I try to keep out most of the time. When I'm there I'm usually working in the plots, fields or new tree planting.

I just found one of these growing at the base of a dead oak. I cut of about a pound thinking it was a little early for them. I was wrong, I cooked it up in some butter,onions.salt, white wine and simmered it in chicken brooth. It was very very good. My 4 and 6 year olds even scarfed them down. I hope the rest is still good when I go up for the bow opener. I saw they go for around $13 a pound. I would say the one I found was close to 5#lbs.

I just found one of these growing at the base of a dead oak. I cut of about a pound thinking it was a little early for them. I was wrong, I cooked it up in some butter,onions.salt, white wine and simmered it in chicken brooth. It was very very good. My 4 and 6 year olds even scarfed them down. I hope the rest is still good when I go up for the bow opener. I saw they go for around $13 a pound. I would say the one I found was close to 5#lbs.
Cool! Did u take a pic?

Yes,0816141421_0001.jpg not the best pic from my crummy phone.

That is awesome. Congrats!

We just made some up last weekend too. I love the reaction of people that have never tried it, much less even heard of the stuff.

I have yet to have anyone say it isnt outstanding.