Charlie Brown's Apple Tree - Pruning Help Needed

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
So the story about this little tree. Cortland, B9. One of the first trees i planted ever, and it was in my yard. I think the first year it was nearly killed by deer. It was not fenced and they nearly browsed it to death, I think I had to cut it back to almost nothing again. Another year went by, it somehow recovered a bit, and then Tooley my lab ate it. This tree certainly didnt get the care it needed. Fast forward a few more years, and I fenced and staked it. It was growing very well, i think about year 4 or 5. Central leader was really quite tall, and I think a bird came by and snapped it off, or we lost it in a storm because my conduit wasnt tall enough. It was a pretty big set back and another year of neglect. Now i've got a mess on my hands and I need some advice. The central leader has this huge bend in it. Is it best to just cut the tree clean off the top with my silky saw, and just pop a few cortland budsticks right in there?

CameraZOOM-20160207131521503.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160207131335556.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160207131340695.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160207131409014.jpg

Looks good to me Ed lol. I think anything going straight up or inward should be removed and pick a new central leader and cut everything within 6 inches below the top of that new leader

I'm hardly an expert, but given that it is in your yard, my first thought would be to try open vase/ open center pruning.

Hmmmm. How many apples have you picked off of it? I was just reading something earlier today that says every time you head a tree you reduce the final maturity height of the tree. Being as you are dealing with a dwarf tree by now you would normally have reached full height if your tree has been in the ground 5-6 years. I wonder if you head it back and regraft how much vertical height you are going to end up with? If it were mine I would leave the most upright leader with the crook in it and bevel cut that other really heavy limb next to where the break occurred before. That heavy branch is taking alot of vigor out of your central leader.

Hmmmm. How many apples have you picked off of it? I was just reading something earlier today that says every time you head a tree you reduce the final maturity height of the tree. Being as you are dealing with a dwarf tree by now you would normally have reached full height if your tree has been in the ground 5-6 years. I wonder if you head it back and regraft how much vertical height you are going to end up with? If it were mine I would leave the most upright leader with the crook in it and bevel cut that other really heavy limb next to where the break occurred before. That heavy branch is taking alot of vigor out of your central leader.

Just got a half dozen off it this year. I have debated ripping it out and replacing with a g30 something but I'm trying to salvage this thing. I like your idea about taking out that other branch.

Hey "Charlie",

Since it is B-9, I am not sure I would worry about it. BUT, if it were me, I would cut what you are calling the central leader off right past the first upright sprout ( looks like one at about 8 inches). If another sprout surfaces this year closer to the trunk I would use it as a lateral. If not go with the one that is already there. It isn't going to get much taller, but with it hanging to the left like that it will shade a lot thus try to get another lateral. My two cents which are worth a penny.

I tried to clean up the mess today. I left that tall leader in place. Took out one of the lower larger branches. Took out some forks and other suckers. This might turn into some odd non-central leader type tree. I dont know that it will be an open center but whatever we'll see what happens.

CameraZOOM-20160220132908163.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160220132918957.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160220132938803.jpg

CameraZOOM-20160220132947009.jpg

Well it looks better now than it did in your first pics. :)

Looks good Matt. I am sure it will be fine and you can always do summer pruning if you need it. Could help growth as well