All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catscratch House and Habitat build

Lol!

Either one of you'd probably be cheaper than raising your own kids! College, sports, and car insurance! I might consider it if you guys would cover those categories!

It's the rut and deer have gotten plumb stupid! This one eventually almost walked into my truck.
Screenshot_20231126_123213_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123242_Gallery.jpg

Little big cat finished processing his deer. I tried something new with a shank. Filleted it out until I could role it, filled with cream cheese and jalapeños, cut into pinwheels and fried. Not bad for deer, GREAT for something we usually grind!
Screenshot_20231126_123414_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123611_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123619_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123636_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123643_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_123659_Gallery.jpg

The kid's deer had a bonus we didn't even know about until after the fact. Drop tines are very rare here. He's the first one in the family to shoot one. I might try to repair it just for fun. He's a better buck than he thought. 18 inch inside spread we had ground growth instead of the normal shrinkage.
Screenshot_20231126_125109_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_125129_Gallery.jpg

Just got done crappie fishing. Several 14-16 inchers! Kept short and skinny ones. Threw back the big and/or fat ones. It's a beautiful day!
Screenshot_20231126_150112_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_145959_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231126_150743_Gallery.jpg

Those shanks sound interesting. Were they tough? We usually put them in a crock pot for an afternoon and let the cartilage break down. Really tasty cut of meat.
We got around 6 inches of snow and were grateful for the moisture.

Those shanks sound interesting. Were they tough? We usually put them in a crock pot for an afternoon and let the cartilage break down. Really tasty cut of meat.
We got around 6 inches of snow and were grateful for the moisture.
I cut thin and beat on them with a mallet, and they were still chewy. I'd say it's a good way to do something different. Not a go-to.
The snow is beautiful and like you said... much needed moisture.

Good Lord that looks like a day that can't be beat at Catscratch Ranch! You should have shot that buck in self-defense.

Great buck your son got!!! He's a bruiser for sure. Did he have a lot of weight run off him? Looking at the pic in the loader bucket, it looked like he's been running does hard.

Crappie filets - great eating.

Great buck your son got!!! He's a bruiser for sure. Did he have a lot of weight run off him? Looking at the pic in the loader bucket, it looked like he's been running does hard.

Crappie filets - great eating.
I'll be honest and say I think he was a pretty young buck. Not much about him said older than 3.5. Even his skull was thin like a immature's deer. So to answer your question; I don't think he was all that run down, just young and thin (something I wouldn't mind being again) :)

Update on Little Cat's games this week. Ball takes priority over hunting for him.

A few of the kid's recent games. I love to hunt but basketball has been a lot of fun too!

Was able to do some basal spraying today. Only got 1 tank sprayed, needed to do 2 but it'll have to wait.
20231227_143447.jpg20231227_143457.jpg

What is that evil looking tree?
Honey locust. They are more evil than they appear! Those are small thorns pic'd. Google them and you'll see what they end up looking like. Those thorns will puncture any tire, shoe, boot, and come out of nowhere to poke at your eye. Plus they have the ability root sprout back with a vengeance after about any foliar spraying. And... they magically have babies that can pop up on every square inch of your property. Luckily nothing seems to eat them, not even hungry cattle.

Yea those above pics are mild compared to some of the Honey Locust. I had some last Spring that I girdled that if you would have dropped it on someone it would have impaled them enough times and deep enough to puncture every internal organ. The interesting thing about them is that the thorns are actually attached only to the bark. Once the tree is dead and the bark starts to slough off the trunk itself is smooth and makes some decent fire wood.