Canning 101

72594613185203dcf58a21010f63e1b0.jpg

I’ve switched to the pasteurization method for all my pickles (peppers too). Hold the canner water at 120-140 while filling the jars, then after adding the jars to the canner, bring it to 180-185 and keep it there for 30 minutes. It really preserves the crunchy texture of the pickles. Note: this only works for high acid canned items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_20190722_213213_01.jpg

KS Gobbler - Recipe for the zucc. relish??

OK, I’m very interested in how canned pheasant is going to taste. The possibilities of canned pheasant and noodles over mashed potatoes or pheasant and dumplings makes me hungry thinking about it.

It's almost canning time again this year and ran into this thread..... I hope I did something wrong, the canned pheasant was not good. Mushy, flavorless, and not worth the jar we put it in. I won't be trying that again!

-John

Farm market had bushel baskets of tomatoes for $10.

I thought about spaghetti sauce. Then I thought meehh to much work :)

Farm market had bushel baskets of tomatoes for $10.

I thought about spaghetti sauce. Then I thought meehh to much work :)
It is alot of work. Only took us 1 time to learn. We made 8 pints of habanero salsa yesterday. Its not as hot as I wanted but has good flavor.

Cowboy candy and jalapeno jelly20190825_160054.jpg

I had 6 apple trees that I've planted that had apples this year, we gat a plastic grocery bag of apples. We also have some mature apples trees that were loaded this year and we picked another plastic grocery bag. We were going to make apple sauce but decided to make apple butter instead. It turned out good, we got 20 half pints.

ydNJ7Yc.jpg

IZIPo9W.jpg

901xHUw.jpg

a4J4nRG.jpg

Im sitting here watching football and enjoying jalapeno jelly we made this summer

I’ve started freezing excess tomatoes and canning them and making juice after the hunting season winds down- the skins slip right off when thawed, it doesn’t interfere with other things I like to do in August and September, and it’s nice to have all the extra heat and humidity in the house in December! This year I also processed the habanero peppers that have been fermenting since early October. Lots of hot sauce going out as Christmas gifts this year...
48d9f6bcf7f611574f4c0cda47e1dff8.jpg

Trampledbyturtles - Canned venison looks horrible - like roadkill in a jar - but it tastes like a million dollars eating it!! We put a little oil or Crisco in a cast iron skillet and brown it. We like it with home fries/onions, and baked beans. Add a salad and you're golden. ENJOY yours!!

This year I also processed the habanero peppers that have been fermenting since early October. Lots of hot sauce going out as Christmas gifts this year...

I can feel the day after burn already :emoji_astonished::emoji_smiling_imp:

Id love to make hot sauce. Ive got some favorites commercially but that would be neat.

Id love to make hot sauce. Ive got some favorites commercially but that would be neat.

It’s really easy, just takes a little time. The ingredients are peppers, salt, water, and time/labor. I started out using crocks, but have transitioned to food grade buckets with resealable lids I get from the local deli. Check out chilichump on YouTube for a load of good info. Mine is done by using whole pepper and fermenting them, but lots of folks make great small batches by grinding peppers and fermenting the mash.

We tried cooking our tomatoes a different way this year, cut them up added salt, pepper and garlic and drizzled olive oil over the top. Put them on baking pans and smoked them for 2-3hrs with a little bit of hickory @ 225deg. Brought them in and pureed them in a food processor and canned them. This is a basic tomato base you can use for spaghetti, chilli etc., those 5 pans of tomatoes yielded 11 quarts.

XA0ghKM.jpg

spJvy6d.jpg

CU1uSM1.jpg