Camp Ripley

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Another thread mentioned Camp Ripley (Sandbur). I am curious if you can tell me/us more about it. With so many acres of prime habitat and basically two weekends of archery hunting, it should be loaded with deer and nice bucks?

Is that the case? Is the capacity higher/buck to doe ratio better? No agriculture in in the refuge correct?

I'd like some feedback from Sandbur or anyone familiar...thanks!

Sounds like the Quabbin hunt in Massachusetts.

No first hand experience, but everyone who I've spoken to about Ripley is that it is nothing like it used to be. Many folks aren't even applying this year from what I've heard. You can thank the same guy (Beau Liddell) for ruining Ripley as you can for ruining several units in central MN.
Most of my friends and neighbors will not be applying again until things change. I talked to lots of disgruntled hunters last year while in camp.

Still it is an experience if you son is interested in it and a chance to look terrain over in hopes of better years ahead.

One source said that the 2 deer limit in camp ruined it-a good source.

Inside of the hunt area there are large tracts that are off-limits, Dud areas. They increased those areas a bunch last year. This year they are dropping the hunters from 2500 per weekend to 2000. The camp still has a bunch of deer, just not as many as before. The habitat, with aspen clear cuts, open areas, swamps, etc, is some of the best you can find outside of the agricultural areas (and there are some farms just outside of Ripley.)

I believe it now has 2 wolf packs, the cause of most of the decline in deer numbers IMO.

Most of my friends and neighbors will not be applying again until things change. I talked to lots of disgruntled hunters last year while in camp.

Still it is an experience if you son is interested in it and a chance to look terrain over in hopes of better years ahead.

One source said that the 2 deer limit in camp ruined it-a good source.

Even with a two deer limit, it's just two weekends of archery hunters correct? A high percentage of the deer should be able to avoid the bow guys? How many deer do they shoot? I would think Wolves would have an impact...yes

It should be a world class property for whitetail with the limited hunting pressure?

I did the ripley hunt about 5 or 6 times. the first hunt is thursday friday of mea. the second is the next saturday and sunday. you apply for one or the other.

there's definitely some bruisers in there. i think on average most hunters will see a shooter during the 2 day hunt. lots of hunters walking around so most of the deer you see have been jumped. there's a lot of hunters packed into a relatively small area (for that many hunters).

I actually quit going 2 years ago and have focused on taking a week off during the rut in wisconsin. i got my buck each of the last 2 years doing this. I'm much happier w/ a quiet hunt on my own. that said, ripley was always a blast. I got one nice buck out of there but just didn't see as many deer as most folks.

I never did it, but a friend from highschool took two trophy bucks out of there about 6 years ago. He arrowed two for the books and made the cover of the ODN.

Check out this week's Outdoor News. There is an article on the cut in permits and people being admitted in order to try and booster the herd. Deer kill is down as compared to the past.

Don't accept all of the stories that wolves are the major cause. Going to a one deer area will make a difference, just as it will across the state. Hunters will have to make a choice when they see a deer and that is how we progress as a hunter.

As a side note, the stakeholder teams for this winter will include Camp Ripley. Get involved!

At our Morrison County MDHA meeting last week, we were discussing how the declining camp deer herd was reducing area business on the archery hunt weekends. Our chapter of MDHA wants to work to rebuild the herd in Camp as well as the surrounding area.

Yes...yes it should :confused:
Should! Time for change and it used to be pretty darn good!

I have hunted it 3 times the last was in 2011. Shot 1 monster 14 pt saw a few others brutes. But it is a different type of a hunt with all the hunter milling around. I remember sitting on a trail leading out of a dud zone (which are off limits to any one) within an hour I had 4does ,a hunter, some turkeys, another hunter and a black bear walk past me. I know several different groups that have hunted over the years that don't see deer and others that have seen a ton. My neighbors talked me into applying again this year. If you are a bow hunter you really need to experience it for your self. I couldn't due it every year or even every 2 years. That being said there may not be a better place in the state to shot a book buck on public lands than Ripley!! 3 of us shot 140-160" bucks out of the same exact tree.

I just checked and my group got drawn for the B hunt. Any one else get tags?

I sent an email to Beau requesting how many had applied for the hunt each of the past 10 years. Lou says seeing deer does not have a bearing on tags sold, so I thought Beau could help shed some light on the topic.

Great to see Beaus influence on the Ripley hunt is fading. be nice to have one public spot in the state bowhunters can dream of a monster.

We did an MBI survey on Ripley and members voted 90+% IN FAVOR of regs that made that hunt a trophy rooted experience.

5,022 applicants for Ripley this year. 31% decline from last year. Lowest number since 2003. Or ever?

Little Falls Area Manger Beau Liddel is not surprised. More to come.

And Lou Cornicelli claims deer densities don't matter for license sales-

I know 2 guys who still apply every year. A father and son who hunt together once a year at Ripley if they get drawn. I can't remember the last time they shot something. Last year they saw more wolves than deer. Last time I went it was a tie between wolves and deer, 0 to 0. I remember going as a teen and it was awesome, saw multiple big bucks every year.

Talked with my bro-inlaw his group got selected this year again for the first season. He was not to optimistic about the hunt. Last year there group also was selected they said they did see a few deer but said the numbers were down. They hunt on the extreme north end of the camp. The group I'm going with will have fun no matter what and that is what is most important thing for me!!! Don't get me wrong I will thump a big guy if I have a chance...