Camera Question - Idea For Hog Trap Improvement

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Few might remember a post I shared last year on my first try at hog trapping. I set up a corral pen with a guillotine door but instead of running the trip line to a "rooting stick" inside the trap I ran a cord from my guillotine drop door 100 yards to a boat parked in my yard that allowed me to manually throw the trap door line whenever I wanted to ensure multiple hogs were trapped at one time. Link shares pics of the setup I created.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...g-trapping-with-unplanned-buck-scouting.8258/

For a number of reasons I'm wanting to relocate my trap and when I do I would LOVE to do a few things to "pimp" my trap up.

My dream spot for trapping is right at 200 yards from the house.

What I'm wondering is would it be possible to get a live feed from a remote camera that I could use to monitor the trap from the house whenever I want (versus having to physically go outside, sit in a boat, and check the trap with night vision monocle)? I'd FAR prefer to be able to run a wire to the cam or if the distance is doable use a wireless cam if it can relay a signal to the house -- want to avoid recurring cost of cell system if at all possible.

My second improvement idea is to use a remote control trigger release system to release the rope holding up the guillotine trap door. Have a few engineering minded friends I'm hopeful can help me with that effort.

If I could incorporate a live feed camera I can monitor from the house and setup a remote-control line release I would be able to put a MUCH bigger hurting on the local hog population. Know a number of remote-control hog trap systems (many cell driven) are out now but most run between 2k to 5k in cost, and I'm hopeful I can put together a comparable system for no more than 1/2 that. Any input on viable camera options and / or remote-control line release systems be MUCH appreciated and possibly rewarded with some sausage not too far down the road! :emoji_yum: :emoji_thumbsup:

You may be pushing the distance for Cat 5 cable but it could work. Good RG cable and an inferred cctv cam would work https://videos.cctvcamerapros.com/s...v-camera-video-max-cable-length-distance.html

I assume the hog trap door is 12 volt which would also power this light sensor which is set off with a cheap cell phone.
If you try this document everything for when NSA starts asking question :emoji_fearful::emoji_grimacing:

Go the cheap route and have more fun - but takes longer to get rid of them. I have a texting camera on my corn pile - when the hogs show up - I go shoot them.

B5D88276-0ED0-4375-BD5A-82A1D299DF3E.jpeg739B4639-F818-4D0E-A3C8-82968E768E4B.jpeg

BEC has a commercial wireless approach: https://store.buckeyecam.com/wireless-hog-traps-and-feeders/ Sounds like you may already have the trapping aspect solved, but this has wireless monitoring as well. You could just use an X80 camera as a monitor. Since you don't really care about full resolution pictures, you could also consider the cuddeback wireless approach. It is probably less expensive to use a PIR at the trap to trigger a wireless camera than do a live feed.

If you have power at the trap, there are lots of live feed IP solutions that use wifi with a directional antennas depending on the distance. A live feed requires too much power to be practical.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
7daf4b5c3f4c69aab160133596d11bca.jpg

We just use the cell cam to tell us when their here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can definitely do it. We used remote cameras on fish farms up to a kilometer away. They had pan and tilt, so you could somehow operate a servo to trigger the trap.

I saw on FB where someone took a cheap WiFi cam (~$30) bought at walmart and simpy put an external wifi extender on their house wifi and got that kind of distance. Hooked the cam to a tiny solar charger. Claimed less than $100 in the whole thing.

That's a pretty good idea. I will dig around and see what I come up with. I would like the same thing for coyotes.