Buzzard Mischief - Transferred from QDMA Forum

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I've been building elevated box blinds along food plots slowly over the last few years. They are a great for taking out kids and as I get older they will allow me to continue hunting when I can't climb trees any more.
I've been improving my design with each subsequent build. The first one I built had a fairly large open window in the front. I thought I might need the height when shooting a bow. I've since learned to make hinged windows that push out. This forms a shade keeping more light out making kid movement less visible. I make them adjustable so I can open them outward to any angle depending on the weapon that is being used.
Well, I had to retrofit that original stand today. Buzzards were landing on the window seal and then jumping in and perching on my chairs. They were defecating all over everything. I have a wireless camera mounted to the outside wall. Each time they would leave, the would bump the camera pointing it toward the ground instead of the field.
So, today, I added the hinged window panels to it. It turns out that I have a buddy with a similar box blind and they are doing the same thing to it.
They can be a real nuisance but I believe they are protected.
Here is what it looked like before I added the windows:
0907121824R.jpg

Thanks,
Jack
Never had that problem with buzzards but it's particularly common with owls. ...and owls with a nest are MEAN.
Wait until Momma buzzard decides your box blind is a good place for a nest! I didn't think we were ever going to get the smell out of that blind! WOW what a mess that was!
Matt
Yep we had one use one for a nest. Nasty animals but thank God for them. We have to seal ours up every year to keep them out.
Yep! had same problem if we left the door slightly open. They would get in and crap the place full. They were too big to get into our windows. "D"
My more recent stands use a window design like this:
IMG_20150817_194125536_zpswvkts3id.jpg

I think these are less appealing even if left open because they can't perch on the seal and see out. I'm now retrofitting the older stands.
Thanks,
Jack

END TRANSFER FROM QDMA FORUM

I have one box the buzzards love. Definitely do not worry about scent control in that particular stand