Burenglish oak???

Im in 5a, but burs are tough. I'd try them if I were you. Couldn't hurt.

From reading online if they are a Bur/English cross they could be cold tolerant to zone 3 but very likely to zone 4. I’m in zone 6.

@b116757 was kind enough to send some acorns to me but i've never planted acorns. Would like to plant some of these at home (zone 4b) and up at the land on the 3b/4a border.

Should I plant them in containers? root makers?
transplant in the fall or wait til next spring?
If transplanting in the spring, what do you do with them over the winter?

Sorry for the rookie questions.

I generally keep acorns in the beer crisper over winter, start them in pots around late February, and then move them to their final destination in may-june. I rarely keep them over the next winter.

I generally keep acorns in the beer crisper over winter, start them in pots around late February, and then move them to their final destination in may-june. I rarely keep them over the next winter.

When you start them in pots, are they indoor under grow lights? next to a window? outside?

I might stick a few in the ground and pre-emptively cage it too.

Yes, in my basement under shop lights.
I started Feb 19th. And then more recent.

Attachments

• 20220219_185117.jpg
    20220219_185117.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220429_180709.jpg
    20220429_180709.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 56
Nice setup Teeder! Love the long tap root pots, mass production there friend!

I have several 25 yr old grafts of 'McDaniel' BurXEnglish, selected by plantsman JC McDaniel (Uof IL) from a cemetery somewhere in IL... IIRC. Photo of a few 'McDaniel' acorns I gathered yesterday.
Also have an F2 BurEnglish from OIKOS that makes much smaller acorns, and has a semi-fastigiate growth habit.
All of these are in my yard, along with several other hybrid oaks and a number of large-acorn & low-tannin bur oak selections; deer do come in at night and eat acorns, but I'm not usually out to see them, and don't have cameras out.

Attachments

• McDaniel BurxEnglish.jpg
    McDaniel BurxEnglish.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 38
I was at BassPro in KC today and picked a quart bag of acorns off those trees again. I could of easily filled a couple gallon pail they where really coming down today while I was there. I tried direct seedling them this past spring and had limited luck with that but we have been fighting drought, next spring I will try and get some started in RM’s

You may have covered this in an earlier post, but what are those long containers in the photo in basement/

thanks

bill

Bump on this one. All but one of my first plantings from the acorns @b116757 sent got squirrel'd while growing in pots on my deck. I tried a second round with some leftovers that had been sitting in the refrigerator for way too long and planted too late in the season via Oakseed's method of covering with hardware cloth to keep the rats away. They were just little sprouts when winter showed up so I feared they wouldn't make it through a zone 4 winter but all are back growing again this spring. We did have deep snow coverage all winter so I wont declare success until we have extreme cold with more bare ground.

I have several 25 yr old grafts of 'McDaniel' BurXEnglish, selected by plantsman JC McDaniel (Uof IL) from a cemetery somewhere in IL... IIRC. Photo of a few 'McDaniel' acorns I gathered yesterday.
Also have an F2 BurEnglish from OIKOS that makes much smaller acorns, and has a semi-fastigiate growth habit.
All of these are in my yard, along with several other hybrid oaks and a number of large-acorn & low-tannin bur oak selections; deer do come in at night and eat acorns, but I'm not usually out to see them, and don't have cameras out.
The Bur oak - White oak cross is known as a Bebbs oak. Big trees, big acorns (usually) and hybrid vigor (acorns in 10 yrs or less). Wonderful tree to plant in northern locales. Attached is a photo of mine. Lucky P's shows more white oak parentage; mine is more bur oak regarding caps and acorn shape.

1665971983754-jpeg.46752

I was at BassPro in KC today and picked a quart bag of acorns off those trees again. I could of easily filled a couple gallon pail they where really coming down today while I was there. I tried direct seedling them this past spring and had limited luck with that but we have been fighting drought, next spring I will try and get some started in RM’s
Next time you get out there, please take a picture of the trees. I want to see what their shape looks like.
Thanks!

BTW, all the trees I planted out last year look great!

Next time you get out there, please take a picture of the trees. I want to see what their shape looks like.
Thanks!

BTW, all the trees I planted out last year look great!
Perhaps tomorrow I’ll get some photos I have to work up in KC tomorrow anyway.

Six different parent trees that I’ve collected acorns from. There are more here but these are the ones I’ve collected from.
IMG_0563.jpegIMG_0562.jpegIMG_0561.jpegIMG_0560.jpeg

Perfect! Thanks again!

I transplanted half a dozen or so of these I started in 1 gallon RM pots this spring this afternoon. I’m using them for erosion control along a stream bank since I have them available. Someday they may even produce some acorns for the deer. This spot is full sun on the north edge of a hay meadow really it’s an ideal spot for a planting even if I didn’t need the erosion control.