Building the forever house what am I missing?

^ To you point above. My last home (where I was the general) it was common to work with a lumber yard and you kinda knew all the subs in town. Much easier.....as the lumber yards were somewhat the "unofficial" general. Still your responsibility.....but they really helped with the issues and kept things moving.

On my home here at the lake.....I didn't know anyone. It would have been extremely difficult to get the right team of subs to do this work. In reality.....a good General was essential to this build.....and we had a architect / designer as well.

I did get involved in this build......as there were a few many "holes" in our build and some folks quit, ect.....and it required me to get involved. Had a good outcome....but it got ugly a few times along the way. Not the build experience I was expecting.

Good points Foggy. It can get ugly with a good contractor when problems arise. But I have seen real disasters when homeowners don't know what they are doing. Can cost some real big time money!

If this is truly your "forever" house......plan slowly. Buy the best materials you can afford. Don't skimp on WINDOWS!....especially if you live in a cold climate. Spend lots of time planning your kitchen, bath and mud room and laundry area.

Your a young guy Jordan. Are you sure this is your "forever" home? The last two were my forever home too. That likely cost me some money. o_O ;)

Seems like even the "good" contractor's in Brainerd do shoddy work. Good, being they'll finish the job without ripping you off.

My in-laws place is a prime example. They spent a good amount on building it, and the builder got cheap everything, and didn't use the right exterior doors for the lake side (they're 3 season porch doors not designed for rain exposure). The tile has 1/2" grout lines, the electrical is severely lacking, the handicap ramp has the eaves dump snow onto the middle of it, the decking is all nailed (should be screwed). The list goes on...

Finding the right crew is going to take some digging. Get references of work that's 10-15yrs old, and talk to them.

100% agree with you Foggy on buying the best materials you can afford. Especially windows. Good materials save you money in the long run, not just on energy savings, but also in $$$ spent in do-overs.

Get advice on writing specifications for your house. If you specify brand x or model 101 and the builder tries to put in something else - you have a legal recourse if it gets ugly. I've been on some construction sites where a contractor tried to install cheaper material than the customer specified and paid for. The " Clerk of the works " - ( think building site police ) - caught the contractor and made them make good on what was specified. If you hire something done - I'd still recommend checking everything yourself. If you pay for model " A " window - make sure that's what's installed. Make printed lists and check off items as they arrive at your site.

One other thing nobody here mentioned - DO NOT get fiberglass, foil-wrapped air duct. TRUST ME !!!! After a few years, the fiberglass on the inside of the foil will wear away as air continually passes thru the ductwork. Guess where the fiberglass has gone ??? Into your living space and you have been breathing it !!! I've see places where the only thing left is the foil exterior. Go METAL DUCTWORK from day 1.

One thing about working with an architect.......I had never built the type of place we now live in - lots of beams, stone and distressed looking trim. It was really helpful to work with him in the design stage for us. We had most materials well specified and really had the correct quality in most areas.

Keep in mind "over specifying" or "top shelf" stuff is gonna cost lots more than "adequate" materials. That's why I ask: Are you sure this is your "forever house"? I thought my previous home was "forever"......so I paid for some items in which there was little or no payback for......when it was time to sell. Still.....it was a great home to live in.....and our home sold ahead of "the competition".....as it was quite well designed and built. Quality always shows thru. ;)

Yep. ^^^^ So you like distressed trim, eh Foggy ??? I'm with you there !!! Stone and heavy, distressed wood. I'll take it !!!:)