My wife and I just stapled aluminum window screen bud caps onto ~200 trees this weekend here in WNY. We cut them ourselves with tin shears and used 4-5 staples. The trees from last year that we capped the same way did not get browsed. On the other hand, the plastic bud caps quickly became brittle and the deer tore them off the trees easily. I feel that aluminum screen is the way to go.

Thanks, will have to give them a call tomorrow to see just how much shipping may be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Just talked to them and it sounded like ~$4 for shipping a single bundle via USPS. I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m putting mine on this weekend before the food runs out and the trees look appetizing

Those are what I have. I think you should come over to my place and demonstrate how to put them on. I have around 8 Acres you can roam around and do that for me .:emoji_smiley:

By the time I type this I'll probably have no trees left. Knehrke's advice to use aluminum screen will be my last chance to save a tree, if one makes it to next year.

Last Friday I put on 200 of the Pac Forest bud caps. When I showed up yesterday to finish the job, I'd guess 50 were already bitten/pulled off. Some of the caps are chewed on. Others not. The instructions called for a couple staples. I put 6-8 in each.

My chemicals worked really well this year. In fact, so well that it seems the deer are almost treating the bare ground like scrapes. There are tracks and droppings in many of the circles. I found an old shed antler in one, next to a brown stick that was formerly a spruce tree. Came across probably a couple dozen nice looking, green trees that have recently been chewed off by a rodent of some sort. It always looks the same, an angled cut.

Of the 1,000 planted, I only used up 350 bud caps. Pretty depressing. I'm on the brink of downgrading my habitat work to food plots and fruit trees. You'd never know I planted 1,200 shrubs a few years ago either. It takes too much time and money away from my young family to come up empty handed. Or maybe I can research whatever is the most terrible tasting slow growth spruce in existence. Maybe blacks? I think they'd probably still bite them however.

Not impressed with the Pac Forest bud cap. Maybe in a kinder, gentler herd they'd work.

20171219_132814_resized.jpg 20171219_133226_resized.jpg 20171219_153521_resized.jpg

Wow I put mine on a few weeks ago and so far so good. My suggestion is to post directions to your land and we will bring guns and bows to get that mess of deer controlled!

Candy bars come with wrappers too... sometimes I wonder if some of our efforts just draw attention and say " here deer! right here, is a tasty snack for you!" same thing with shorter grow tubes.... snack at the top

I like the aluminum window screen cut idea... especially for a smaller number of trees where you can get back and pull them later...

The screen idea is ok if you don’t have a couple hundred to do !

Actually, the screen works well even if you do have hundreds to do. A pair of tin snips makes quick work in the field...you don't even have to cut the screen, it's more of a slicing motion...and you only need a single roll to do as many trees as you can get to in a day, since the pieces you're using are only ~4x6". Two people, one roll of screen (metal, not plastic!), and a stapler. A couple hundred trees in a few hours. It's a PITA having to take them off come late April, only to have to reapply them next year, but eventually the trees will get big enough not to have to worry. Our property is across the street from a 700 acre park in a suburban area with extremely high deer densities. If it works for us, it will work anywhere. And credit where credit is due, this came from another board member on the old forum, not me. Maybe Jack? I can't recall off hand, but somebody else may.

Holy crap that’s a lot of work

Hahaha!! We must have different ideas of what lots of work entails LOL. Really, it's only a couple of hours. Honest. Once a year. Try it, you'll like it (says the screen pusher)...

I have used the Pac Forest bud caps with good success and we have very high deer density. Below are 2 seedlings that are going into year with the bud caps.

bud cap IMG_20180101_152058 (002).jpg

bud cap IMG_20180101_152214 (002).jpg

Tree Spud, are those just slid on with no staples? Reusable?

Tree Spud, are those just slid on with no staples? Reusable?

I just slid them on and put a stable at the bottom of the bud cap on either side. Website does not say anything about re-use, they will supposedly tear as the tree grows.

I just slid them on and put a stable at the bottom of the bud cap on either side. Website does not say anything about re-use, they will supposedly tear as the tree grows.
Deer got my white pines pretty bad last winter. I'm stubborn so I left them unprotected again this year. Maybe next year I'll go the cap route :emoji_wink:.

Deer got my white pines pretty bad last winter. I'm stubborn so I left them unprotected again this year. Maybe next year I'll go the cap route :emoji_wink:.

I planted 500 over 2 years, and I didnt protect them. I will say they were a really good winter draw for one year.

I planted 500 over 2 years, and I didnt protect them. I will say they were a really good winter draw for one year.
I put a bunch in downed tree tops and other semi protected areas like within shrub thickets.