Buckwheat down rye & oats in

tooln

5 year old buck +
Rain is forecasted for the next several days so I went out and broadcast rye & oats into my BW and then ran the drag over it. We had 2" no long ago so the plot was still wet but I have no control over that.

Before
[URL=http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/tooln/media/20140810_123124_5.jpg.html][/URL]

After
[URL=http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/tooln/media/20140828_133122.jpg.html][/URL]

The nice green in the background is a clover/chicory/rape mix planted 2 weeks ago.

Looks good!

Nice job. How large is that plot?
Just shy of .5 acre. But the pic is not showing the entire plot, maybe 3/4 of it. The other end has the clover/chicory/rape mix also.

Good looking plot! Is that the plot you hauled all the soil into?

It turned out good, congrats

Thanks. I'd hate to think 3 day of shoveling dirt was a waste. Next year if I have a tractior by this time I'll get some more. Never doing the shovel thing again, getting to old for that.

Thanks. I'd hate to think 3 day of shoveling dirt was a waste. Next year if I have a tractior by this time I'll get some more. Never doing the shovel thing again, getting to old for that.

I hear you on the to old part, the mind says you're still in your 20's and the body says oh no your not.

That wasn't too long ago you put that dirt down was it? That's some growth you got outta that BW. Doesn't BW put nitrogen back into the soil too?

That wasn't too long ago you put that dirt down was it? That's some growth you got outta that BW. Doesn't BW put nitrogen back into the soil too?
I put the dirt in 2 weeks ago. The dirt was put in to the left of the BW in the pic and behind where I took the pic. There were a few holes in the BW that got dirt but not as much as other spots. BW is a great soil builder from what I have read. This is my first time planting it. The BW was panted on 7-11 and I couldn't believe the growth it got in a month. I'm not sure on it fixing N but I was looking for the organic matter and weed control & something I haven't planted before. It was more expensive than Winter rye but I wanted a variety in my plot. Next year I may plant more but a little earlier.