Brush Hog Standing Corn

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
Below is an aerial of my property, the yellow outline is what I am leaving for standing corn. I'm leaving 12 rows or so standing along the north field edge for a screen.

Should I leave it all standing, or go through brush hog it all, brush hog strips so it looks like a checkered board, any other ideas?

[/URL
]

Might want to check your local regs because brush hogging would considered baiting in our area of WI. If baiting is legal, I'd probably just mow a couple strategic strips...

Bush hog a strip where deer want to cross from north to south. Widen it as they eat the corn, and put a blind on east and west edges for winds. Deadly where legal.

I have in email from our CO that brushhogging the corn is legal.

Bush hog a strip where deer want to cross from north to south. Widen it as they eat the corn, and put a blind on east and west edges for winds. Deadly where legal.
I have in email from our CO that brushhogging the corn is legal.

Then if you want the daughter to see deer, consider my advice.

I do believe the OP is in WI? I don't know about that being legal in any part of WI either, because even where baiting is legal, it must be only a certain amount of bait and there are some specific rules as to how it must be contained.

if brushhogging is illegal, how about just taking an ATV and run it over flat to the ground then?

if brushhogging is illegal, how about just taking an ATV and run it over flat to the ground then?
Its up to your CO. Years back I had some buds do it and the MN CO told them until the picked up every cob it was baiting. Did not have to not wait the 10 days. Interpretation and baiting laws have gone through many changes in last 10 years.

It's not the method that you put your bait down it is the fact that it can only equal 2 gallons of bait per "site" and it must be contained in a small area/pile(not sure on the exact size, maybe like 2'x2', IIRC). It cannot be scattered randomly nor can the volume exceed 2 gallons.

I just looked at the WI baiting regs and it appears they removed the verbiage about the "size" of the bait site, but it is 2 gallons max and in the event of food plots, the following phrase is in the document 4 separate times:
"Natural Vegetation and Plantings: You may hunt with the aid of

material deposited by natural vegetation, material found solely as
a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices, or with
the aid of crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots."

I think the left standing part is clearly spelled out for a reason, like to prevent bush hogging or running down the stalks.

You don't have to brush hog, you can knock it down with an ATV. Works very well, as far as I know it is legal in MN. Basically like a travel path through the corn.

Bwoods,
Brushhogging is legal in MN. Here is the email I got from our CO when I asked about brushhogging my corn to make shooting lanes.

Here is her reply:
I look at this as the same if a combine would do strips through the field and leaving some corn for windbreak and such. As long as you do not gather the corn from the field and transport it into a pile next to your stand, you should be fine.

Conservation Officer

Tricia Plautz

218-924-4322

Well pretty sad if one allows it and not another.
I have it in print. Good enough for me.

Bwoods,
Brushhogging is legal in MN. Here is the email I got from our CO when I asked about brushhogging my corn to make shooting lanes.

Here is her reply:
I look at this as the same if a combine would do strips through the field and leaving some corn for windbreak and such. As long as you do not gather the corn from the field and transport it into a pile next to your stand, you should be fine.

Conservation Officer

Tricia Plautz

218-924-4322

The former warden in my county is a client of mine. I think he said the exact thing. Again you can knock down corn with an ATV or truck (or brush hog) if you want. I did this just a week ago. Reason being, the farmer was supposed to leave the corn standing in that location as part of our contract....however, he conveniently forgot the year before:cool:

This way there is no "forgetting"!!

I have used the pickup method... corn does wonders on a black paint job. LOLLLLLL

I have used the pickup method... corn does wonders on a black paint job. LOLLLLLL

Some CO's will tag you for this. They don't care if its pickup or 4 wheeler. Some say you can, some say you can't. Strangely enough the CO I speak of was booted from the property in question the year before he had issues with corn run down by a 4 wheeler. Just saying.

Some CO's will tag you for this. They don't care if its pickup or 4 wheeler. Some say you can, some say you can't. Strangely enough the CO I speak of was booted from the property in question the year before he had issues with corn run down by a 4 wheeler. Just saying.

Ok I'll shut up.

Corn stalks are rough on tires as well!

If your going to push them over use a front end loader and bucket.

Typically anything that falls outside of the "traditional agricultural practice" will get you in trouble regarding a grain crop.

My local CO said no brushhogging corn allowed, he would consider it baiting. Know your local officer, seems like it makes a difference, shouldn't but it does. Law is supposed to be the law..

I took out the power steering/brake fluid cooler on my old F-250 doing that. Barely made it back to the house :)

Perfectly legal to brush hog corn in MO.

My local CO said no brushhogging corn allowed, he would consider it baiting. Know your local officer, seems like it makes a difference, shouldn't but it does. Law is supposed to be the law..
Sounds like a local prick! If brush hogging isn't legal give it a discing, where your disc is hardly hitting the surface.
Excuse me officer, if you wouldn't have been so hard about writing people tickets in your soil biology 101, you would know I am simply speeding up the process of turning this organic material into organic matter. I wish those pesky deer didn't eat all these corn kernels, they are walking off with my soil nutrients. I have no choice but to kill them....
Sounds like nazi germany to me