Broadcasting Rye into Buckwheat

ACCMan

5 year old buck +
I planted buckwheat in a field to amend the soil. I bush hogged a little late and alot of it went to seed. I lightly tilled while awaiting winter rye seed and now the buckwheat is popping up again, in fact it is a beautiful stand. I am considering letting it get about 4 to 6 inches tall, broadcasting winter rye into it and then mowing. Should I spray or just mow.

On the other hand I have a beautiful stand of sorghum with lablab and peas growing in it. My original plan was to leave it all winter but now the bears have found it and will probably ruin the stand of sorghum in short order. I may have to bush hog it to get rid of the nuisance bears to keep them from running my deer off.

If theres no weeds in it, Id just seed it and mow it. If you can get the rye to touch the ground your golden. Pretty tough to screw that stuff up!

I'd just broadcast the rye into the buckwheat and walk away. Unless it's really thick.

The buckwheat is only 2" high right now, but buy the time I get rye seed it will probably be 4 to 5 inches high. I know the first frost the buckwheat will be toast and the rye should be established. Ive got bare dirt under the buckwheat and I had even thought of running over it with the cultipacker to guarantee soil contact.

I would do just that, run it over with your cultipacker to get some soil contact. Then hope for a good rain to get it germinating.

One thing I learned about BW is to terminate it a little bit earlier than you think. I been planting it for years but this year I saw that it had not gone to seed yet and disked it in. I then planted PTT and GHR and the BW out grew it. I’ll just turn this plot into an LC Mix next rainfall since I already have 2.5 acres of brassicas I planted before.