Broadcasting corn

Question on Beans, is it the change in sunlight that triggers the plant to produce pods/seed? Would fertilizer speed up the process of developing Pods? Batman is correct, in norther climates, no reason to plant seed that doesn't produce late fall winter seed.
In Wisconsin, farmers normally plant soybeans in 0.9 to 2.3 maturity range. Depending on weather and temperatures, this can be a 10 to 25 Day difference in zone 4b.

Sagittarius,
The soybeans I got from NWTF is Jung 1232RR2 which is a 2.3 maturity. I would assume I need to get these in the ground somewhat early. Can I wait for early June or should I try to plant in late may? These will be planted a little north of Black River Falls.

This is first time I have tried soybeans.

Sagittarius,
The soybeans I got from NWTF is Jung 1232RR2 which is a 2.3 maturity. I would assume I need to get these in the ground somewhat early. Can I wait for early June or should I try to plant in late may? These will be planted a little north of Black River Falls.

This is first time I have tried soybeans.
Do you plan on spreading a cereal grain/clover mix into the yellowing beans this fall? How many acres are you planting? Are you planning on protecting them? Are your deer densities low enough to allow them to reach maturity and make pods or do you think they will get hammered to the dirt before that point?

Do you plan on spreading a cereal grain/clover mix into the yellowing beans this fall? How many acres are you planting? Are you planning on protecting them? Are your deer densities low enough to allow them to reach maturity and make pods or do you think they will get hammered to the dirt before that point?
So many questions :)

I have 3 52 lbs bags (140,000 seeds per bag). This is old seed from NWTF and I haven't done a rag doll test yet, but should be enough for 2 or 3 acres depending on how it germinates. They will be planted near a 5 acre field that will be corn this year. There is other ag in the area.

My goal is to simply see if I can grow the beans I have. I dont have Dipper\November level of deer, but its not uncommon to see 4 or 6 deer feeding in the current clover plot They always seem to disappear when gun season comes around but with the big (comparatively) field being corn this year that may change. If the beans gets wiped out I will probably plant some winter rye later (maybe with some clover) If they survive probably spread some turnips in them.

I'm not really committed to a follow up plan for fall yet. I just want to give them a chance to make pods if the deer allow. I even know they may not help me because they might not last to November, but I have a Brother-in-Law that bow hunt and they may help him. At the very least I can spray them once or twice and get a cleaner seed bed for fall.

Basically I'm at a lets try something and see what happens stage of my food plotting career, so I can learn what work and what doesn't work for my immediate area.

Hawaii, this(pic from today) is 2010(Dekalb) and 2012(Pioneer) seed that I row planted on April 30th 2015 at about 2-2 1/2" deep. I think your 3yr old seed is fine if stored properly. I planted 2009 and 2010 seed last year and had results just like in the pic below, funny thing is that I tried germ testing the seed last year and I must have messed it up because my germ test results were way under 50%??

So many questions :)

I have 3 52 lbs bags (140,000 seeds per bag). This is old seed from NWTF and I haven't done a rag doll test yet, but should be enough for 2 or 3 acres depending on how it germinates. They will be planted near a 5 acre field that will be corn this year. There is other ag in the area.

My goal is to simply see if I can grow the beans I have. I dont have Dipper\November level of deer, but its not uncommon to see 4 or 6 deer feeding in the current clover plot They always seem to disappear when gun season comes around but with the big (comparatively) field being corn this year that may change. If the beans gets wiped out I will probably plant some winter rye later (maybe with some clover) If they survive probably spread some turnips in them.

I'm not really committed to a follow up plan for fall yet. I just want to give them a chance to make pods if the deer allow. I even know they may not help me because they might not last to November, but I have a Brother-in-Law that bow hunt and they may help him. At the very least I can spray them once or twice and get a cleaner seed bed for fall.

Basically I'm at a lets try something and see what happens stage of my food plotting career, so I can learn what work and what doesn't work for my immediate area.
If it's a first time, "try and see" type situation, have at it and good luck with the new experiment! 3 acres of beans in your area(I have a pretty good idea of the general area where you're at) with other ag/corn nearby may get some of your beans through to maturity, but keep in mind that the deer could likely put a serious hurt on them even with the other food around, especially if it is a nice secluded plot area. No need to be fully committed to specific a fall plan, but I would plan on being ready to get some rye/clover/brassicas down in that area at a moments notice if you see it is going to turn out to be a failure, there is no point/advantage to leaving it without something growing in it.

Another option to broadcasting is what I did this weekend. I set two s-tines with a cultivator head 10" apart so I had two row's 10" apart and then the next two about 16-18" away based on the width of my compact tractor. I dug the furrow down a few inches and then followed the furrow with my $100 Earthway garden seeder. As I walked along I would kick dirt over the seed to give it a good covering and when it was all done I ran over the entire plot with a chain drag. While a planter would be great, this was doable for what I wanted to accomplish.

Well, it's been 2 weeks since I've broadcasted. Camped right by the field with the family all weekend and watched these blackbirds walk around and pluck the seeds right out of the ground All weekend long. There are pink outer shells laying around everywhere next to the hole they stuck their beaks into. At one time I witnessed 17 birds walking around. The ones that germinated are still pretty small. I planted one bag for 1.5 acres knowing some wouldn't germinate and the birds would get some. I think the bag was 36#s for 80k seeds. The clubs cultipacker got stuck in a sink hole this year so I had to improvise. I drove my truck tires all over this plot. I got the plot packed down real good . I'm done with corn until I get a good working planter and have time to blast black birds with my shotgun.