All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brassicas looking okay considering how dry it's been.

Ogemaone

5 year old buck +
Pretty happy how the plots are looking. Planted end of June. It's been dry the last few weeks. I have three brassica plots, the large one is for winter feeding and the smaller one is one of my kill plots. Chance of rain possibly tomorrow or Sunday. Could use a good soaker.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Where are you located...isnt june really early..ive always heard mid july to mid august and im in the north

Northern Wisconsin, we typically get a frost in mid September. I am looking for maximum tonnage. We have had some harsh winters the last two years. The turnips are 90 day to maturity crops so I usually plant end of June and they turn out good if we have consistant rain.

I think the last two years we had frost the first and second week of September by me.

What kind of bulb growth you have?

Nice looking plots. I think next year I would like to plant the brassica sooner on ours and then do some rye later. I really liked how that rye greened up for the deer early this spring.

Kinda puzzled why the cup holder in the picture doesnt have a cold beer?? and do you have a tractor or do you do your stuff with a 4 wheeler??

EDIT

I think I see some deer stands in pics 2 and 4.

Nice job. How big are the turnip bulbs at this point?
Any radishes in there? Have you added any urea?
Golf ball size so far. I used triple 18 at planting and again in middle of July.

d
Nice looking plots. I think next year I would like to plant the brassica sooner on ours and then do some rye later. I really liked how that rye greened up for the deer early this spring.

Kinda puzzled why the cup holder in the picture doesnt have a cold beer?? and do you have a tractor or do you do your stuff with a 4 wheeler??

EDIT

I think I see some deer stands in pics 2 and 4.

I do everything with my 4 wheeler and Yamaha Viking UTV. There was a cold beer in my hand right after the ride. I had just gotten up to the property and wanted to get some bear bait out first thing.

You are correct on the deer stands!

Where are you located...isnt june really early..ive always heard mid july to mid august and im in the north
I used to plant mid July. I now plant the 4th of July weekend. The extra couple weeks seems to add a lot of growth. I have no trouble with brassicas bolting or getting steamy. Like ogemaone said we have tuff winters,there is never any brassicas left in the fields come spring.Llooking for max tonnage.

I used to plant mid July. I now plant the 4th of July weekend. The extra couple weeks seems to add a lot of growth. I have no trouble with brassicas bolting or getting steamy. Like ogemaone said we have tuff winters,there is never any brassicas left in the fields come spring.Llooking for max tonnage.
I checked the bulbs in this plot on Saturday and I have some the size of tennis balls so far.
image.jpg

I've planted my brassicas end of July because it always seems like we hit a dry patch the beginning of August. If they get germinated I've found that the morning dew is enough to keep them going for a while when you would think they would have dried out.

We planted our brassica plot on August 8 in southeastern Indiana. Unfortunately, we have had very little rain in that part of the state since. Has anyone been in a similar situation and had the seed sit in the ground for awhile before actually getting a good rain that ultimately led to successful germination? I am hopeful that it will still work out and rain is in the forecast tomorrow....