All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brassicas doing well into December

you-get-in-the-kitchen-make-the-sammiches-thumb.jpg
Bur & Batman - O.K. Detectives........ I suppose you're gonna tell me that just because the wife took up drinking Iron City beer last week and left a few empty cans in the trash is a reason to be suspicious?? :eek:

As long as she is enjoying herself its all good. I find that when women are doing something wrong, they often feel guilty and treat their man better. You may even find her making sammiches from time to time.

Above pic is from my new Moultrie 880.

Mine must be innocent, based on your " treating the man better if guilty " statement. I get treated like a floor lamp the same as I have been for the last 5 yrs. or so !!!

Mine must be innocent, based on your " treating the man better if guilty " statement. I get treated like a floor lamp the same as I have been for the last 5 yrs. or so !!!

You are not alone my friend, rest assured you are not alone.

First year I have planted brassicas as well

DSCN0496_zps83rthhes.jpg

DSCN0494_zpsg9fjollo.jpg

DSCN0495_zps628c1zew.jpg

What you guys are just now experiencing is exactly the reason I grow my brassicas for bulb size. I'm not interested in the rape and hybrids that put out all that leaf tonnage without the bulbs. I want me some big A$$ bulbs to feed the deer well into winter.

What you guys are just now experiencing is exactly the reason I grow my brassicas for bulb size. I'm not interested in the rape and hybrids that put out all that leaf tonnage without the bulbs. I want me some big A$$ bulbs to feed the deer well into winter.
You need to get yourself some rutabagas in the ground if you want true bulb size.

My brassica are doing great!

The sugar beets are sitting there with very little nibbling on them. The turnips are under the snow. Why do I bother with most of these foodplots?

The fawns eat the corn.

Bur, I'm with you here. We planted a hundred acres of Cover crops for the farm this year. 1/2 was a mixture of wheat, DER and Berseam clover. The only green thing left in the mix is the clover and in was flattened to the ground. The other 1/2 was barley, radish and Berseam. The radish have all rotted, barley is dead and again the Berseam has a slight green tint but flattened to the ground with the snow. I would see neither of these mixes being beneficial to have in a plot to help your herd through the winter. My clover plot of red and ladino clovers at my hunting spot are useless right now and just covered and flattened with the snow. Getting the food up in the air, as in corn or beans, I think is the only way to go where there is snow!

I don't claim to know much about women but yours has a boyfriend who does not deer hunt. Just saying.

Interesting you should type this...

We had a younger husband and wife on our deer lease and he was all gung ho about hunting deer. His wife came and actually killed 3 pretty nice bucks the first 2 years she was on the lease. She started making up excuses to stay home and told her husband to go have a good time. She also started dressing up a lot more and she was sending him on out of state hunts. 2 days after rifle season opened he stopped coming to the lease and we didn't see him again until spring turkey season... Seems when he would leave to go hunting his wife was getting with an old boyfriend from High School she hooked back up with on Facebook. She came up with the story the openeing weekend of rifle that on Monday she was taking her dad out of state to a Dr. and they would be out of town about 3 days but for him to go on and have fun. He left and went down the road and hid. She came out about 30 minutes later and drove to the lake to a cabin where her boyfriend was waiting. He never confronted them there, he went home and loaded all his stuff up along with the boat and other things (her house) and then went to the bank and cleared the joint accounts out and closed all of their joint credit and got a lawyer.

He also went to the guys house and told his wife where her husband was once he got everything done and she drove out and caught him so this destroyed both marriages...

The guy from our lease said his wife told him it was a crappy thing to do to the other guys wife and upsetting her like that... LOL

my brassicas are doing their job now.

with snow....

without snow

random during and after snow.

Nice looking plot with lots of food there. I notice you still have some radish sticking up. Those were the first to go in my plots. I'm not a fan of eating radish myself but those forage radish are pretty good tasting.

Nice looking plot with lots of food there. I notice you still have some radish sticking up. Those were the first to go in my plots. I'm not a fan of eating radish myself but those forage radish are pretty good tasting.
Typically they are the first of the tubers to get munched on for me too....but i experimented with an earlier planting date this year and the radish bolted on me. Not sure if that's the reason or not ...but it's the most likely variable that I can see.

The tubers of most all brassicas will get especially tough and woody once they have bolted, had some baby red radishes bolt in our garden one time and they were great before hand, but barely edible(to us anyway) after that.

I found where two fawns have been nibbling on the ptt. Another foodplot is 1/4 mile away and the ptt and sugar beets are getting little use.IMG_9145.JPG

finally brassica usage.jpg
For the first year I finally got some sign of brassica (radish) usage this year. You can see the deer have hammered the cereal grains and winter peas in the plot. You can also see they actually ate the tuber and pulled them out of the ground in some cases. The plot was covered in deer tracks when I took these pics today. We still have a lot of standing corn in my area and the deer still are using this plot - can you say DIVERSITY!!!

My brassicas look a lot like others earlier in this thread. We haven't had the snow here like most of you have, we'll get a couple inches of snow and the a week later it's 40 deg. The deer are still hitting them pretty good tho.

Funny how the first brassica I got the deer to even sample was radish. I tried different turnips for the past few years. I have a side by side plot I need to check and see if I see much difference.