Brassicas coming along

B

BJE80

I got decent gemination going on. Hoping for a bit more as I overseeded some of the bare spots and we got rain yesterday. I'll be putting some urea down on it in about 2 weeks. If there are still bare spots I'll prob put some peas, winterrye in there.

IMAG0078_zpse3763de4.jpg

IMAG0078_zps11075f46.jpg

How you grown brassicas on this plot before? Is there enough sun for them?

How you grown brassicas on this plot before? Is there enough sun for them?

No, this was clover for the past couple of years. Plenty of sun though in most spots. One thing I noticed is that where I only ran the drag over it once after broadcasting it is coming up better so it might of got bured too deep. Some of those spots in the middle I ran over it a couple of times just because of turning. I wonder. I hope the overseeding will take. The rain we got yesterday should really help. It has been really dry.

The rain we got yesterday should kick those brassicas in high gear. My brassicas were not looking to good last week from lack of moisture but I am sure that the rain from yesterday will kick them into high gear.

I overseed my brassicas just about every year with winter rye. It usually takes well and provides some fall and winter food until the snow gets to deep, but it really pays off in the early spring when it's the first green available. A couple times during dry falls I thought the turkeys cleaned up my overseeded rye before it grew because there was very little showing before winter. But even on those years the plot was full of green rye come spring time.

The rain we got yesterday should kick those brassicas in high gear. My brassicas were not looking to good last week from lack of moisture but I am sure that the rain from yesterday will kick them into high gear.

Yes! Yes! Yes! :)

I overseed my brassicas just about every year with winter rye. It usually takes well and provides some fall and winter food until the snow gets to deep, but it really pays off in the early spring when it's the first green available. A couple times during dry falls I thought the turkeys cleaned up my overseeded rye before it grew because there was very little showing before winter. But even on those years the plot was full of green rye come spring time.

When do you do that Bueller? Like timing wise?

I broadcast some winter rye in my basically failed brassica plot this past weekend. Not sure if timing was right but we just got 1/2" of rain the next day. Won't be there for a couple weeks so figured now was as good a time as any. I would think you could seed WR for the next month or so.

If I did it now could't it catch up to the brassicas and choke them off?

When do you do that Bueller? Like timing wise?
I usually shoot for Labor Day at the latest. But I have done it as late as mid-September and as early as right around now. I've noticed when doing it Labor Day or later it doesn't get very thick or tall and therefore does no harm to the brassicas which are at the point where they are slowing down anyways. IME it takes several weeks for top seeded rye in the fall to really emerge and put on much growth. The times where I done it early August was because I was essentially giving up on my brassicas anyways because of drought. This year my brassicas are looking good and I don't want anything competing with them just yet so I'm holding off on the rye for now.

I usually shoot for Labor Day at the latest. But I have done it as late as mid-September and as early as right around now. I've noticed when doing it Labor Day or later it doesn't get very thick or tall and therefore does no harm to the brassicas which are at the point where they are slowing down anyways. IME it takes several weeks for top seeded rye in the fall to really emerge and put on much growth. The times where I done it early August was because I was essentially giving up on my brassicas anyways because of drought. This year my brassicas are looking good and I don't want anything competing with them just yet so I'm holding off on the rye for now.

Gotcha. I'm still hopeful for a good stand. Won't know until the end of the month though when I plant my other plant and spread urea here in this plot. I'll have extra rye so I'll be ready to seed it if needed.