Brassica plots

Planning the food plots this year and i went back and checked my records. I have some plots that have had radish and turnips for the last 3 years. Im worried that my rotation schedule is off. The soil tests will be sent off tomorrow and i am paying for the sulphur test to see if it is depleted. The question is, Should i be worried about going 4 years in a row without a rotation?

Did they only have brassica in them or did they have brassica in them as part of a mix? It makes a big difference. The warnings about planting brassica in the same field are for farmers that are planting a monoculture for harvest. I typically plant a mix of PTT/CC/WR. In that mix, I keep the PTT component down around 2 lbs/ac. I typically drill strips radish into suppressed fields of established clover.

The disease risk is high when you have a high concentration of brassica plants per sqft year after year. That is different than planting brassica as part of a mix with other kinds of plants.

While there are specific risks associated with brassica, any monoculture planted without rotation will deplete the soil of the specific nutrients it needs and successive crops will get worse.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Some plots were really heavy with the radishes. I don't do mono cultures. Usually, a wheat, rye, oats, radish, turnip...but the crop wasn't awesome last year so I was worried about the rotation deal and now that I have read more...it may be a sulfur issue. Hence, the U of Missouri will be getting a box soon of dirt to tell me what my soil has or does not have in it. On a good note, my home made soil probe worked like a champ. I welded some 3/4 black iron together after some fab work and no issues. I broke a store bought unit so i took the durability issue into my own hands. Small success.

I'm planting PTT and a few other brassica in a new plot this year. First time planting them. I'm in zone 7 in Virginia, when is the best time to plant them for a November/December attraction? They say 55 days to maturity but how long so they last in the ground once mature?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

They say 55 days to maturity but how long so they last in the ground once mature?
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Until they are consumed or you replant next spring.