Box Blinds at Menards

That is quite the elevated blind John. Maybe its the angle but I don't see a tongue on that unit, how do you turn with that thing? I imagine that's for field edges?

I've wanted to build a couple transportable hay bale blinds to put in my prairie grass but have not gotten to it yet.

Nice deer Jake, congrats.

Freeborn - There is a tongue on the running gear, it's just the angle of the picture.

I built it specifically to hunt a field edge from the high spot on the whole field. In the past we have used ground blinds, but had to choose which side of the field to watch. Now we can see the whole thing :)

I wanted it on wheels so I could move it off the field for the majority of the year, as the location makes it kind of an eyesore.

Do they make one with bow windows at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menards doesn't carry one, I'm not sure if they have other models or not?

Thanks,

-John

What about high snow loads? Do you guys think these things will stand up to 2-3' of snow?

The way the roof is made I doubt the snow would stand on it?

If it did, I don't think it would hold 2 - 3 feet. They don't seem that strong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The way the roof is made I doubt the snow would stand on it?

If it did, I don't think it would hold 2 - 3 feet. They don't seem that strong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe a little Crisco at the end of the season would help it slide off to make sure.

Checked this blind out at Menard's tonight. Next year we will be replacing my Pops's old tower with a new platform set on elevator brackets. Price is right on this blind, our only concern was 365 day durability year after year. Mounted 12' high what would you guys give the life expectancy of this thing?

Funny we have the elevators already too, just need to decide what is going to go on top.

I'll tell you in a couple of years :)

The plastic is substantial, I would _guess_ 5 years easy. But that's only a guess. It doesn't seem like they skimped when they made it.

Seeing as mine will only be on the field a couple weeks per year, maybe I should throw a cheap tarp or something over it just to keep the sun off of it the rest of the year???

-John

I'll tell you in a couple of years :)

The plastic is substantial, I would _guess_ 5 years easy. But that's only a guess. It doesn't seem like they skimped when they made it.

Seeing as mine will only be on the field a couple weeks per year, maybe I should throw a cheap tarp or something over it just to keep the sun off of it the rest of the year???

-John
That was something we talked about tonight. Wrapping with a tarp or even taking it down off the platform during the off season. Neither of which we really want to do but I don't want to find out that the standard 45 mph thunderstorm gust destroyed the thing.

That was something we talked about tonight. Wrapping with a tarp or even taking it down off the platform during the off season. Neither of which we really want to do but I don't want to find out that the standard 45 mph thunderstorm gust destroyed the thing.

The one I installed is obviously brand new, but it has already stood up to 30 MPH winds without so much as a scratch.

I was actually more worried about the whole thing tipping over. It appears the running gear is heavy enough that I don't need to worry about it.

-John

Pop's pulled the trigger on a pentagon blind and we picked it up this morning. I'm happy that he will have a safe and warm stand to hunt out of next fall. For those that have bought one of these, what size platform do you recommend. I was thinking about 7x7.

We pulled the trigger on two of these last year. They were $375 each from Menards. We had a relative who was having there house professionally spray foam insulated so we brought them over there and the contractor did them. The insulation will add some structural support. I'll have to see what he charged us for the insulation but I heard ~$300 for both. Now we just have to paint the inside black and get them elevated.

HuntingBlind3_4view.jpg

Any more comments on these from John or others? how is the fading going? How are the windows?

We pulled the trigger on two of these last year. They were $375 each from Menards. We had a relative who was having there house professionally spray foam insulated so we brought them over there and the contractor did them. The insulation will add some structural support. I'll have to see what he charged us for the insulation but I heard ~$300 for both. Now we just have to paint the inside black and get them elevated.

HuntingBlind3_4view.jpg

I bought 4 of them this past spring. @ of the 4x4 and 2 Pentagon. For the Pentagon I am having to build 6' x 6' platforms so there will be plenty of room for an all day sit ... and a nap :)

We some lower areas around the marsh where you cannot get a tractor or an atv in. So a Redneck or Shawdow is not possible. I like the modular panels that can be carried and lifted by one person. Plans to insulate the insides. Putting them on 10-12' platforms depending on the location.

I have built many wooden box blinds with various siding and for $400-$500 a blind, these should work quite well.

image.jpeg
My buddy bought a 4x4 last fall. After hunting out of it, he thought it was too small. We added 2' walls between the panels to make it into an octagon. We widened his old stand platform and built it on top. Plenty of room inside now.

I bought 4 of them this past spring. @ of the 4x4 and 2 Pentagon. For the Pentagon I am having to build 6' x 6' platforms so there will be plenty of room for an all day sit ... and a nap :)

We some lower areas around the marsh where you cannot get a tractor or an atv in. So a Redneck or Shawdow is not possible. I like the modular panels that can be carried and lifted by one person. Plans to insulate the insides. Putting them on 10-12' platforms depending on the location.

I have built many wooden box blinds with various siding and for $400-$500 a blind, these should work quite well.
Have you built the 6x6 platforms yet? We have an octagon sitting in the garage that we need to get up soon and were wondering about what size platform to use. I was thinking of making a landing porch on one side to make entry and exit safer.

Can someone that has one of these guidesman talk about how the windows work and if they are decent?

View attachment 10007
My buddy bought a 4x4 last fall. After hunting out of it, he thought it was too small. We added 2' walls between the panels to make it into an octagon. We widened his old stand platform and built it on top. Plenty of room inside now.
Cool retrofit and it looks very functional as well! Nice work. How are the wooden walls held together with the plastic panels?

Have you built the 6x6 platforms yet? We have an octagon sitting in the garage that we need to get up soon and were wondering about what size platform to use. I was thinking of making a landing porch on one side to make entry and exit safer.

Have you looked at the instructions yet? The outbound dimensions are 72" x 75" which means one point is 6'3". On the side of the platform that requires the extra 3", I will just add a couple of blocks of wood.

IMG_20160807_135008.jpg

Spud, the oak regen at the edge of that field looks great!

Cool retrofit and it looks very functional as well! Nice work. How are the wooden walls held together with the plastic panels?
2x2 wood framing.