Bought Anything Lately That Met Your Expectations?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
It seems like so many things we buy these days are expensive and poorly made. The recent POS Sprayer thread was a good example. With the prices we pay for habitat equipment, you would think there would be some level of quality. Even with brand names I have bought in the past, what used to last 20 years, now only lasts 2-3, and the nagging little problems from cheap components to poor design.

I recently wanted a push cart for the shop. Move stuff around, a tool table for equipment and stuff I am working on (so I don't lose pieces, nuts, bolts, etc.), and to save my back. I found this cart on Amazon. It was $110 and I thought that the price was low, but not too high that I would waste money if it was junk.

The cart is very well made, hold up to 270 lbs, was easy to put together and is actually very sturdy. Realize it is not a major purchase, but it was nice to get something that actually met expectations.

What have you recently bought that met you expectations?

1716644202360.png

It seems like so many things we buy these days are expensive and poorly made. The recent POS Sprayer thread was a good example. With the prices we pay for habitat equipment, you would think there would be some level of quality. Even with brand names I have bought in the past, what used to last 20 years, now only lasts 2-3, and the nagging little problems from cheap components to poor design.

I recently wanted a push cart for the shop. Move stuff around, a tool table for equipment and stuff I am working on (so I don't lose pieces, nuts, bolts, etc.), and to save my back. I found this cart on Amazon. It was $110 and I thought that the price was low, but not too high that I would waste money if it was junk.

The cart is very well made, hold up to 270 lbs, was easy to put together and is actually very sturdy. Realize it is not a major purchase, but it was nice to get something that actually met expectations.

What have you recently bought that met you expectations?

View attachment 64729
Dang I like that idea. I’m too old to be lifting everything I do but too young to be smart enough to stop. That cart is a great idea

New sprayer has been a game changer for me. Worth the money
Solo seed spreader has been a good change from those stupid soft bag spreader
Mini ex was the best thing next to a tractor for me. Couldn’t live without one now.

I recently bought this old miskin 7 yard dirt scraper. It's capable of moving a small mountain of dirt a day with a decent tractor in front and it didn't cost much.
20240523_164238.jpg
This tree gator puller is another recent purchase I've been happy with. It's built like a tank and takes abuse like one. I've even been able to tip over trees in the 20" diameter range by digging around the base with the snoot to cut the roots and pushing them over.
20240103_082356.jpg
20240220_135945.jpg

That dirt scraper is next level! So are you just taking that to level out new plots?

That dirt scraper is next level! So are you just taking that to level out new plots?
The main project I bought it for is I'm taking 15 acres of rough pasture ground and converting it into alfalfa (the ultimate goal is to get it eligible for CRP which would put it back to its natural state). I need to move and smooth a lot of dirt for this project. There are tons of applications I can see for it in the future though. Leveling plots of course, but also building ponds/dams, terraces, roads etc. Another big one for me is I can move gravel and rock from my pit up onto access roads that regularly wash out.

The main project I bought it for is I'm taking 15 acres of rough pasture ground and converting it into alfalfa (the ultimate goal is to get it eligible for CRP which would put it back to its natural state).

I am not sure field or fields with a cropping history of alfalfa would be eligible for enrollment in CRP. If it is, if enrolling in general CRP offers are ranked. I guess I have enough knowledge about this to be dangerous.

I am not sure field or fields with a cropping history of alfalfa would be eligible for enrollment in CRP. If it is, if enrolling in general CRP offers are ranked. I guess I have enough knowledge about this to be dangerous.
Yes, here it is eligible. This alfalfa seeding is actually part of an nrcs program. When I called the farm services office to get confirmation that alfalfa would be eligible for crop history, they not only confirmed that it was, they directed me to this nrcs program. The only stipulation is that you need to leave it in alfalfa for 5 years. I'm not exactly sure why but I guess iowa wants to encourage more alfalfa acres.
I asked plenty of questions before I began this project because I was pretty skeptical as well.

Why would alfalfa not be considered? It’s clearly a crop that has financial implications

Yes, here it is eligible. This alfalfa seeding is actually part of an nrcs program. When I called the farm services office to get confirmation that alfalfa would be eligible for crop history, they not only confirmed that it was, they directed me to this nrcs program. The only stipulation is that you need to leave it in alfalfa for 5 years. I'm not exactly sure why but I guess iowa wants to encourage more alfalfa acres.
I asked plenty of questions before I began this project because I was pretty skeptical as well.

They help with cost share to plant it ??

I recently bought this old miskin 7 yard dirt scraper. It's capable of moving a small mountain of dirt a day with a decent tractor in front and it didn't cost much.
View attachment 64730
This tree gator puller is another recent purchase I've been happy with. It's built like a tank and takes abuse like one. I've even been able to tip over trees in the 20" diameter range by digging around the base with the snoot to cut the roots and pushing them over.
View attachment 64731
View attachment 64732

Really like that tree puller.

If I could buy one with the skid steer accidently attached, I may have plausible deniability with the wife 😁

Why would alfalfa not be considered? It’s clearly a crop that has financial implication

The intent is to retire environmentally sensitive land. If there already is a conserving use in place, for example perennial forages in the planting periods under consideration, then the land is ineligible to receive establish incentive and annual rental payments. I think I said that right. But there are different rules, programs, and considerations for different states. And then there's a general CRP signup, continuous sign up, grassland signup. You don't need to be a lawyer...but it helps.

The intent is to retire environmentally sensitive land. If there already is a conserving use in place, for example perennial forages in the planting periods under consideration, then the land is ineligible to receive establish incentive and annual rental payments. I think I said that right. But there are different rules, programs, and considerations for different states. And then there's a general CRP signup, continuous sign up, grassland signup. You don't need to be a lawyer...but it helps.

Ahhh that makes sense. So because alfalfa is a perennial it’s a gray area

In all honesty the things I have bought lately that really impress me are all old equipment that is new to me. It’s crazy how much of that old stuff you can lube with a little panther piss and put it right back into service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a stab at replacing my power inverters at the cabin. My system runs on 12v but I need 110 to run TV and DVD. My old ones were pushing 7 years, and the fans run a lot which I’m sure uses some power, and more importantly, makes noise.

I got the newer version, and the fan hasn’t run once.

Also, the 7’ green garden stake at Menards make decent tree tube stakes. They are about $2/each and they drive easily, they are ribbed so a zip tie can grab it.

I’m just starting with them, but so far, great value and performer.

If u don’t have a driver for a thin stake like that, you’ll need to make one out of schedule 40. Don’t forget to buy that.

Was just thinking about this on the way to work tonight as it was raining.

RainX...it really does work if you put it on on when glass is hot and use two coats. I put it on last fall and water still beads and blows across my winsheild...the stuff is great!

Crossbow herbicide...it is liquid death on broadleafs and unwanted trees&shrubs.

Cattplex...just like Crossbow but for any type of grass from phragmites to yard grass.....mix the two and it is like paraquat, will kill everything.

Another thing is Aquashade I put in my pond in late spring, one gallon lasts in my one acre pond almost till the following spring.

Habitat hook is a quality product. I have the aluminum model and it works great for tree work, often works best with one guy on the saw and one on the hook though.

Habitat hook is a quality product. I have the aluminum model and it works great for tree work, often works best with one guy on the saw and one on the hook though.

I have one also. A good item for safely tipping trees over if you can't get a tractor in or you have a specific drop path you are trying to hit. Also great pulling hinge where you want them.

I bought a 1994 Bridgeport Series 1 for $1,000. Stripped the cnc gear, added a vfd and dro. I am not disappointed at all. I bought a bit of used USA made machining stuff, not disappointed with that either. IMG_20240520_181133_HDR.jpg