Bloom color

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Driving around this past spring and my wife was loving all of the crabapple trees with dark pink blooms. Seemed like we saw them everywhere. But it seemed as though none produced apples bigger than a marble.

Are there any popular edible apples that produce dark pink, or red blooms?

Driving around this past spring and my wife was loving all of the crabapple trees with dark pink blooms. Seemed like we saw them everywhere. But it seemed as though none produced apples bigger than a marble.

Almata, winter red flesh, and my memory says Firecracker. Almata is the most edible for my climate. Most red flesh are tart and not great tasting to many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost all of the bright ornamental crabs that you see are bred to have small persistent fruit that hangs all winter. The target market for the trees is landscapers, not habitat guys. Landscapers dont want trees that produce messy fruit that requires businesses or home owners to clean up after them.

All the above being said, I have a bunch of trees across my farm where my focus was more toward lanscaping than fruit production, but I still wanted wildlife benefit. Some of those include, Centennial, Callaway, Prairiefire, Purple Prince, Dolgo, Centurion, and Robinson.

https://www.jfschmidt.com/pdfs/JFS_CRAB_CHART.pdf

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-shrubs-vines/trees/best-crabapples-for-your-yard/?
5BC18B97-1ACC-466E-958A-66E4A768743E.jpeg

Last edited:
My crabapple at home has pink flowers. It still has several thousand marble sized fruits on it right now.
When the robins come back in the spring they hammer that tree.
i picked a handful today and laid them in the trail where the rabbit prints are. Maybe it will eat them?

My red fleshed Scarlet Surprise apple has red blossoms. Not the best eater as it is an earlier apple.

Follow up: the handful of fruits I set on the ground were all eaten up by morning.

I’ll keep picking them and feeding the “bunny”.

But, when I start my nursery, I will be sure to protect the trunks.

Besides the awesome bloom crabs are great pollinators for other apple trees, I try and plant a 1 to 5 ratio with them in the orchards. They are also good for my bees and really beneficial to lots of “other” wildlife with the late hang times deep into winter, great for all kinds of birds and bunnies. I’ve got some crabs the size of peas some the size of ping pong balls.