Black Spruce plugs

scott44

5 year old buck +
I know I'm late to the game here but there was a thread earlier about Reed canary grass and it got me thinking about planting some Black spruce in mine plus maybe some willow cuttings. I looked and can only find 4a Black spruce plugs from Itasca, I would really like to plant plugs and kind of want some larger ones if possible, does anyone have a goos source for larger Black spruce plugs? I have found places with bare root but I have had better luck with plugs, Thanks.

Check with Cold Stream Farm. Otherwise, you could always put an order in for next year for the plug size you want.
Van's Pines may also be a source to check.

Check with Cold Stream Farm. Otherwise, you could always put an order in for next year for the plug size you want.
Van's Pines may also be a source to check.
Cold stream has some bare root, I might just plan this out and order some from NCR next year, thanks.

I might just plan this out and order some from NCR next year, thanks.
This^^^will give you some time to rid those areas of some of the heavy reed canary growth over the summer. There was an earlier thread that talked about just that, check it out if you haven't already.

This^^^will give you some time to rid those areas of some of the heavy reed canary growth over the summer. There was an earlier thread that talked about just that, check it out if you haven't already.
That's what really got me thinking of doing this.:)

Itasca Greenhouse has some 4a still in stock. It may be worth it to call them and see if they would be willing to transplant them to the larger plug trays (77 size maybe?) and grow them for another season. Maybe they'll be willing if you are ordering a few hundred.

I believe the 77 size Norway spruce I planted last year had been transplanted from 4a size, if I understood correctly.