Black bugs in my corn?

roosterstraw

5 year old buck +
These black bugs have appeared in and around my corn. Anyone know what these are and if it’s safe to use the corn for deer?
71A7DECD-A010-406F-A671-2CE57C4D3EE6.jpegE21BD973-BFFC-4F19-A655-F1D7E9E25C9B.jpeg

Looks like weevils. I've had them infest my corn and sunflower seeds. It was just a couple 50lb bags, so i threw it all out in a pile for the animals. They eat the seeds and defecate in it, so it ends up powdery and gross. My advice is use it before the weevils ruin it.

Looks like weevils. I've had them infest my corn and sunflower seeds. It was just a couple 50lb bags, so i threw it all out in a pile for the animals. They eat the seeds and defecate in it, so it ends up powdery and gross. My advice is use it before the weevils ruin it.

Is there any way to prevent these guys from coming back?

In my limited experience it was an issue of time. The longer open containers sat in the garage, the more chance for weevil infestation. If i threw out the infested corn/seed, I generally wouldn't notice the bugs again unless I let another open bag sit around for a few weeks. Buckets with tight lids help as long as what you put into the bucket is not contaminated.

How long has your corn been sitting open?

Looks like what we call a corn weevil/maize weevil/rice weevil....

In my limited experience it was an issue of time. The longer open containers sat in the garage, the more chance for weevil infestation. If i threw out the infested corn/seed, I generally wouldn't notice the bugs again unless I let another open bag sit around for a few weeks. Buckets with tight lids help as long as what you put into the bucket is not contaminated.

How long has your corn been sitting open?

The corn is in bags tied up with hay bale strings. They have been sitting for quite some time but just noticed them here recently. Wonder if I could start using zip ties to help seal it up a little better.

D
Looks like what we call a corn weevil/maize weevil/rice weevil....

Do you know if they’re harmful to wildlife or if the corn is contaminated now?

They're not harmful to you or wildlife. But they will eat up your corn and poo it out. Most wildlife that eats corn does not eat insect poo. The weevils will make the corn less attractive to animals that otherwise like corn.