Biggest Turnips (or any other food plot crops)

foggy

5 year old buck +
OK....this may not be huge.....but I did grow some nice Purple Top Turnips this year. Anybody got any good pics to share?

This is about "softball to kitten ball" size.

turnip.JPG

About the same size turnips as you have Foggy

Hey Scott. Nice. I dint get very nice radish this year. Odd year for my stuff. Good in some areas and sparse in others. Still.....I got enough produce to feed my critters into the mid-winter. :)

Hey Scott. Nice. I dint get very nice radish this year. Odd year for my stuff. Good in some areas and sparse in others. Still.....I got enough produce to feed my critters into the mid-winter. :)

Yea some of the best radishes I've grown, in the last week or so they have started to really hammer them.

My sugar beet bulbs are just starting to get eaten by the deer. Most are baseball to softball size. sugar beets.jpg

The deer have eaten the leaves for many weeks.....but just now began pulling and nibbling on the bulbs. We need a HARD freeze here.

IMG_9062.JPG

Rutabagas in the garden.

Radishes and turnips turned out real well. Deer have been hammering my radish tops for quite awhile.

^ Good looking produce!

Nice looking. I think the key to food plots is how they compete with the area competition. If you have found a draw the neighbors dont have and it works you have an edge over the competition.

ResizedImage_1410645270467.jpg

Here's my reed canary grass with some brassicas mixed in. This plot was sprayed with round-up and then over-seeded with brassicas in the spring. Not to worried about the grass as the deer still eat the brassicas with it there.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1410645270467.jpg
    ResizedImage_1410645270467.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 2690

Here's my reed canary grass with some brassicas mixed in. This plot was sprayed with round-up and then over-seeded with brassicas in the spring. Not to worried about the grass as the deer still eat the brassicas with it there.
Nice looking plot and great idea. I have plenty of reed canary grass spread out across my place. Was you plot in a wet area.?

Nice looking plot and great idea. I have plenty of reed canary grass spread out across my place. Was you plot in a wet area.?
I like that idea, too. Might work great in a dry year when upland plots fail.

Yep, It's in a low field that stays pretty wet in the spring. Stu helped me spray it this spring and I planted it a couple of days later. The roundup set it back pretty good but with the wet spring and summer and no additional spraying the grass came back. It's a heavier, clay ground.

Turnips are like nachos, if you pick them up and they are attached it counts as one. I don't have the biggest single but I doubt many guys have the a group a turnips like this.

A lot of great looking radishes out there too. You guys are growing some nice plots.

Attachments

• turnip 2.jpg
    turnip 2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 25
  • turnip.jpg
    turnip.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 20
A couple more years of timely spraying and we'd have your plots in near ideal condition Wade ;)

You've got some great soil for brassicas or sugar beets

Thanks stu,
you're right about the brassicas. They grow good on my soil and the deer love them in the fall. I'm excited to see what walks out in a couple of weeks.

You guys all beat me. My turnips are only baseball size and the radishes are like big carrots. Or what is felt of them. Most are eaten already.

You guys all beat me. My turnips are only baseball size and the radishes are like big carrots. Or what is felt of them. Most are eaten already.
Not sure the big ones are as palatable as the smaller sizes. Actually I'd rather have lots of small and medium sized bulbs. Other wise they often pull em up take one bite and leave em lay. More is better!

I think browndog or sandbur have the biggest individual bulbs. With the fewer deer and big plots of monster turnips deer across the state are going to eat well this winter. With the warm weather and lack of movement I have been seeing muzzleloader might be the time to hunt over a turnip plot.

Some awesome looking vegetables guys. Man I wish I had some black soil rather than yellow sand :(.

I think browndog or sandbur have the biggest individual bulbs. With the fewer deer and big plots of monster turnips deer across the state are going to eat well this winter. With the warm weather and lack of movement I have been seeing muzzleloader might be the time to hunt over a turnip plot.

I'm tempted to dig that one out in the first pic...it's as big as my head and my hat would fit on it nicely.