Big Dog - first year

Really this is more the norm but sometimes in transplanting it shocks the trees into a fruiting state. Next year it wouldn’t surprise me if my Big Dogs don’t bloom and are back to a vegetative growth state again for a couple years.

Big Dog tends to have a heavy crop every other year. Mebbe if I pruned it heavily, it would be more consistent.

This year I took off some lower branches so I could run the riding mower under it. I usually just take off water sprouts that I can easily reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dog tends to have a heavy crop every other year. Mebbe if I pruned it heavily, it would be more consistent.

This year I took off some lower branches so I could run the riding mower under it. I usually just take off water sprouts that I can easily reach.

55c62ddb02ec758ade0b78b6918df015.jpg

No apples under the old Big Dog, but this doe still likes to hang around.

It will be interesting to see what drop time is in your climate. I suspect it will be earlier than for me.

The last week in October and first part of November is typical for me. However, last year we had a severe drought and it started dropping earlier.

eb745fe041bb0b527ad3b5094f13fc36.jpg

The apples on this Big Dog are currently about 3/4 inch in size. I suspect a late drop. This location is slow to wake up in the spring. It is a top work of Big Dog on the wild swamp crab.