All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big and Beasty Guy!

M

MoBuckChaser

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mo! Btw Fishing was slow this morning.....I'm blaming it on the east wind!

Dave-do you have a shop over there? I drive through your town about 2X a week. Probably tomorrow in fact.

I'm not buying anything for now. Just nice to shake a hand with an enthusiastic deer hunter and outdoorsmen.

The spearing decoy-is it a Bruel? Yup, I used to collect decoys.

One of my clients and I were just discussing spearing on the big lake near your town....

I don't have my own shop yet.....hopefully in time.
Koronis or Green lake? I'm not sure the decoy brand. It was just a cheap one I picked up. I know a few people that collect them. Spearing has a kind of cool history.
a lot of people are using I think .....Lasky decoys? They almost float

Hey Dave you should offer up a free bag of seed giveaway for site members as a show of good faith for any controversy started;)
But in all seriousness hope you do well with your business and maybe it would be beneficial for you to add some generic seed blends for cost conscious guys as well. Good luck!

Welcome Dave. This really is an incredible and casual site. ENJOY!

Hey you should change your name to mn antler plot or something about mn. Kinda like that wi clover company does. I think you will sell a lot more seed if you include the state of mn. I'd might even consider buying some.

Bahahahahahahahahaha!
You wanna hear something real funny. The guys at biologic hooked up with my cousins on a food plot mix and the first 400" buck was slapped on the cover. The freak died before he shed his velvet and so did the seed. Maybe he would have lived if he was actually eating those seed blends. He was raised on the alfalfa I sold them.... My alfalfa kills huge bucks hahaha

Koronis, Dave.

I have not heard of Lasky decoys. I have not kept up with the decoys.

I do have some old metal decoys from my Dad. They were made in in Wilmar or Spicer.

Hmm thanks for the ideas guys! Here In Minnesota I plant my plots to keep the deer on the property as much as to give them nutrition. Small bucks that cross the fence get shot often and that is a big reason why hunting is so challenging here.

Just looked it up. Laska's decoys. I think he is a newer builder/carver. Must be selling a bunch of em because it takes awhile to get. I'm on koronis right now lol

I will have to look it up.

The decoy you had reminds me of Bruels. Made by Bruce and Hellen Wakefield. I think Bruce started making them when he got out of WWII. He once told me he made up to 5,000 a year. They were from Watkins Mn.-not far to the east of you. Their son or grandson may still be making them. Sorry to steal your thread on deer.

Don't worry I'm game to talk about anything lol. I have seen some from Spicer area. a guy from town here has probably over 1000 decoys. There is a very active chapter...mn dark house association base out of Spicer as well. Another old guy... last name Heins I think from town here used to make very large ones. Like over a foot long. My gramps did a lot of spearing so its pretty fun looking at all the old decs and spears

Sorry to steal your thread, Dave..
I dug out some of my whitefish spearing decoys. The one on the upper left is a Bruel. The other three have had their share of use.

Are there any tullibees left in Koronis?

IMG_9222.JPG

I haven't seen any tullibees in the hole but I know a guy who works for the fisheries and it sounds like the the pop is about average right now. I messed up a the biggest northern ive ever seen a couple weeks ago. so yeah the grow big but it is hit and miss for me lol. There have been a few pigs taken this year. 15 - 20 lbs

The Foley sucker. This one was made by Art Mendal of Popple Creek.

IMG_9224.JPG

These are all metal decoys and this one came from my Dad's spearing box.

IMG_9225.JPG

Nice!....Randalls are popular .....pretty sure he made spears as well. Seems people around here are always looking for Frank Clark spears too

Just a few more and I will quit.

Al Kuebelbeck from St. Joe.
IMG_9228.JPG

From Brainerd.IMG_9226.JPG

Sometimes called Chase instead of Case.IMG_9227.JPG

There was a Milaca fish decoy of a certain style.

Also St. Cloud Penitentary fish. (can't spell pent....). I guess inmates were given knives and allowed to carve decoys. They would sell them for cash and some prison guards would then claim they made them.That was many years ago...

Wow that's a nice collection. it's always intersting in that they are all so different