Beware of opening your box blind......

foggy

5 year old buck +
Was getting some of my blinds ready for the gun season today. One blind had an open window. Musta rattled open during a storm. Proceeded to enter slowly......and saw this in the doghouse made to hold a Mr Heater.

Yikes. Got my spray and soaked the nest down. Looked to be nearly basketball size.
nest.jpg

Sounds like you were ready. I remember when the boys were youth hunting and the first time I took my oldest out we were sitting there before first light and something fell on my leg and we turned the flashlight on and saw one of those, not quite that big but it still wasn't good. We backed out and sat outside. After that I would buy those bug bombs and open the door and just throw them in and come back later and clean up the mess.

They don't move much on a frosty morning. Makes some easy smushing.
I've never had a full hive like that. I always have combs

Foggy didn't you have the same problem with your boat this spring?

Foggy didn't you have the same problem with your boat this spring?
Yep. I've had lots of wasp and hornet problems this year. Hornets are the worst stings. Not sure why the surge in hornets in the past few years.

Yep. I've had lots of wasp and hornet problems this year. Hornets are the worst stings. Not sure why the surge in hornets in the past few years.

Cause us farmers only Target the bee's for now!;)

We have 8 box blinds with no windows. Always a treat clearing the leaf pile out, coons love them. Btw, we had a covey type heater box setup till it caught fire on a gun opener with a disabled hunter in it. Be careful.

Did you have a fire start from use of a Mr Heater? Have not noticed it to be an issue.....but, I gotta check to see how hot it is on the framing above those heaters on this style blind.

Yep - I do a clean out as well and I know mine are not sealed enough to keep the smaller pests out. I typically have everything from mice to snakes to wasps. Typically I pick as cold a day as I can to do the cleaning - the cooler temps slow them down. Armed with rat bait, a large stick and a can of wasp spray. Never had what you got foggy, but plenty of mice nests and wasp nests to contend with. I typically just let the snakes alone - we have very few that pose any real danger to people in my area and most will help keep the mice in check. Ran out of spray one year - that sucked! Had one that really didn't like me he got me 3 times, but he paid the ultimate price in the end.

He have Mr. Heater heads on 5 gallon propane tanks. It got too hot in the covey box and started the stand on fire. The hunter could not walk and thankgod had a radio. I ran 400 yards and pulled the hunter out, then put out the fire.
WOW sounds like everything worked out ok. Glad no one got hurt.