Best way to implement...

r49740

5 year old buck +
Excuse my stupidity with this Question, but wanted to confirm what the crop is in the attached picture. When’s the best planting time for this for deer, either to hunt around or to give them spring and summer feed. Any tips or tricks, fertilizer needs, ect ?

Attachments

• 53407906-C63B-488F-9FC1-6FADE5C6FDF5.jpeg
    53407906-C63B-488F-9FC1-6FADE5C6FDF5.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 51
It certainly looks like a grain that went to seed. My first thought is winter rye but doesn’t seem tall enough. But location, soil conditions etc can all have an affect. Early season wet feet stunts my WR a bit. If it happens to be WR or WW what zone are you in? That will make a difference in planting date.

Looks like wheat, last summer early fall planted, I usually plant my cereal grains around the 1st of Sept.

yep winter wheat,as mentioned plant sept can spread urea on.I have broadcast alot of wheat right before a rain on as bare of dirt as possible and got a good stand

It is WW or WR, hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't much matter from a deer's perspective; cereal is cereal. While deer will use the seed heads on occasion, they are not particularly attractive. Cereal is the most attractive when it is young and supple. When planted for fall, deer seem to be all over it when it 3" or so tall. It doesn't provide much summer food value for deer. WW and WR overwinter and provide some early food when they are still small in the spring. They quickly loose their attraction when other native foods green-up. You can plant cereal in the spring for food later into spring. Oats are often used for spring planting as they generally don't overwinter and WW and WR are more often planted in the fall for hunting season attraction.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for all the replies. That’s what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I’m in 5b. So I can broadcast in September then it seems.

Thanks for all the replies. That’s what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I’m in 5b. So I can broadcast in September then it seems.

Might want to add that zone to your profile. If I'm planting cereal for attraction, I like to plant it a couple weeks before our archery season begins in early October. I usually start looking at forecasts starting labor day weekend. I plant when I have a good rain in the forecast. Germination rates for Winter Wheat is low when surface broadcast on my heavy clay soil, but Winter Rye does very well. No need to till, just spray, broadcast, and cultipack if you have a cultipacker.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted 6 row winter barley a couple of years ago. Once the seed heads matured in early summer the deer ate every last one in a matter of days.

Like yoderjac said. Paul use to say deer use winter rye up to 12". I broadcast winter rye into my beans every year when the leaves start to yellow. Double crop into winter and ground cover. Suppresses some weeds. Win win.

I planted 6 row winter barley a couple of years ago. Once the seed heads matured in early summer the deer ate every last one in a matter of days.
I rediscovered the exclusion cage this year. Haven't done one in probably 6 years.

I've got one on my barley right now among a really good stand of it. I'm heading up next weekend to check on it, and I expect it may be gone by the time I get there. I just hope they don't peacefully protest their way into the cage too. I've also got cat wheat growing right next to it. I know the wheat is hitting consumption stage because my buddy's got wiped out a week ago, and he's about 10 days ahead of me in terms of growing season. I need the deer to have the seed heads off, cause I need that straw on the ground for phase 2. Then comes phase 3.