First Attempt at no-till/no-plow food plot

Right on new guy

Don't fall victim to your own misguided assumptions. While I'm a "new guy" to this site and this is my first attempt at this type of food plot, this isn't my first rodeo with food plots and it's certainly not my first rodeo with forum blowhards that wag their fingers at folks from behind keyboards either. If it makes you feel better about yourself to play that card, knock yourself, slick. 👍

Do you have an aerial photo you could post? Might be easier to see what you're describing. Two of my plots are partially shaded. Some things grow ok and some things don't grow well at all. At times I've gotten better growth in the shaded areas I think because I have a pretty thin soil layer that sits on nothing but rocks and it dries out very quickly in the sun.

It's not a good picture but it's the best aerial view I could find of the area. I added the stand symbol just for reference. It is on the west end of the lane itself and favoring the north side of the lane. The stand will actually sit in the shade on the right side of the lane (looking east) and the lane itself starts roughly 50 yards away from the stand (moving east). It's a late afternoon/early evening photo. Outside of this, and what I've already said about the area, I can't explain the area any better without giving tours. Lol! Like I said, I've hunted this piece of property for years and I'm very familiar with it. I would've selected a different area if shade was going to be an issue.

To the group, If anyone wants to continue questioning the impacts shade is going to have on this food plot, I can't do anything more for you. If anyone wants to get more in depth on thatch, I welcome the conversation. Thank you to those that have given applicable and useful advice on my question about thatch. It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-9204.jpg
    IMG-9204.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 10
Don't fall victim to your own misguided assumptions. While I'm a "new guy" to this site and this is my first attempt at this type of food plot, this isn't my first rodeo with food plots and it's certainly not my first rodeo with forum blowhards that wag their fingers at folks from behind keyboards either. If it makes you feel better about yourself to play that card, knock yourself, slick. 👍

It's not a good picture but it's the best aerial view I could find of the area. I added the stand symbol just for reference. It is on the west end of the lane itself and favoring the north side of the lane. The stand will actually sit in the shade on the right side of the lane (looking east) and the lane itself starts roughly 50 yards away from the stand (moving east). It's a late afternoon/early evening photo. Outside of this, and what I've already said about the area, I can't explain the area any better without giving tours. Lol! Like I said, I've hunted this piece of property for years and I'm very familiar with it. I would've selected a different area if shade was going to be an issue.

To the group, If anyone wants to continue questioning the impacts shade is going to have on this food plot, I can't do anything more for you. If anyone wants to get more in depth on thatch, I welcome the conversation. Thank you to those that have given applicable and useful advice on my question about thatch. It is greatly appreciated.
Thatch is almost always good. My only suggestion is that you put seed down then mow and spray (If you're going to spray), so that your seed is under the thatch. If you have a cultipacker, run it over. It'll grow. Like others have said watch that rye grass. It was in my first food plot attempt and it didn't work out well. If it doesn't work, then try something else next year. This will be my 5th year of food plotting and I have switched up my combinations every year. My deer seem to really like oats and rye grain can bail you out of a food plot failure.

I like cereal rye better, but that ryegrass should grow there. Some of the clovers should grow too in that mix. It will be a sweet honey hole.

I too plant alot of out of the way plots besides my big central destination plots. Was just giving some feedback on the heartache I’ve had.

I would plant super heavy and try to cultipack if you can. The thatch will be fine like it is. Might even want more thatch. The idea someone said of throwing seed and fertilizer, cultipacking, then spreading some hay on top sounds like a good idea to me.

Be careful that the hay you out has not been treated with milestone(aminooyralid). Will not let any broadleaf plants germinate.

Good luck and welcome.

To the group, If anyone wants to continue questioning the impacts shade is going to have on this food plot, I can't do anything more for you. If anyone wants to get more in depth on thatch, I welcome the conversation. Thank you to those that have given applicable and useful advice on my question about thatch. It is
😁👩‍🌾👩‍🌾👩‍🌾👩‍🌾 Good luck planting your 2250 sq ft. plot. I would think a food plot guru could figure that out all by herself.

Thatch is almost always good. My only suggestion is that you put seed down then mow and spray (If you're going to spray), so that your seed is under the thatch. If you have a cultipacker, run it over. It'll grow. Like others have said watch that rye grass. It was in my first food plot attempt and it didn't work out well. If it doesn't work, then try something else next year. This will be my 5th year of food plotting and I have switched up my combinations every year. My deer seem to really like oats and rye grain can bail you out of a food plot failure.

yeah, I've already sprayed (Glyphosate) and mowed. I don't have access to heavy equipment so cultipacker is out of the question. I'm considering running the push mower again just after seeding but not 100% certain of that yet. I'm going to put out some soil amendment this weekend and my targeted timeframe for planting is still mid-September. We shall see how it goes.

I like cereal rye better, but that ryegrass should grow there. Some of the clovers should grow too in that mix. It will be a sweet honey hole.

I too plant alot of out of the way plots besides my big central destination plots. Was just giving some feedback on the heartache I’ve had.

I would plant super heavy and try to cultipack if you can. The thatch will be fine like it is. Might even want more thatch. The idea someone said of throwing seed and fertilizer, cultipacking, then spreading some hay on top sounds like a good idea to me.

Be careful that the hay you out has not been treated with milestone(aminooyralid). Will not let any broadleaf plants germinate.

Good luck and welcome.

I don't have access to a cultipacker so that's a no-go. Considering running the push mower immediately after I see but not sure yet.

Like I said, I'm hopeful but my expectations are low. This is my test tube, if you will. If I don't get it right this time, we'll try something different next time. Thanks for all of the advice.

😁👩‍🌾👩‍🌾👩‍🌾👩‍🌾 Good luck planting your 2250 sq ft. plot. I would think a food plot guru could figure that out all by herself.

There it is. Typical troll tactics. Don't like the way the conversation is going so we resort to adolescent insults. OH NO!! The big bad troll called me a woman! Whatever will I do? GTFOH! You're going to have to try harder than that because so far, you're boring AF and totally unoriginal. Might want to dig a little deeper into that troll handbook. If you can handle the bigger words, go ahead and jump past the 101 stuff and get to the more advanced troll drivel.

On a bright note, congratulations on getting the math right. I'm sure mom is proud. No, really. 👍

There it is. Typical troll tactics. Don't like the way the conversation is going so we resort to adolescent insults. OH NO!! The big bad troll called me a woman! Whatever will I do? GTFOH! You're going to have to try harder than that because so far, you're boring AF and totally unoriginal. Might want to dig a little deeper into that troll handbook. If you can handle the bigger words, go ahead and jump past the 101 stuff and get to the more advanced troll drivel.

On a bright note, congratulations on getting the math right. I'm sure mom is proud. No, really. 👍
You have got to be kidding? You started lobbing insults from the minute I told you to relax. Your EGO is enormous. I feel kinda of bad for you now and won’t take up anymore of your time.

yeah, I've already sprayed (Glyphosate) and mowed. I don't have access to heavy equipment so cultipacker is out of the question. I'm considering running the push mower again just after seeding but not 100% certain of that yet. I'm going to put out some soil amendment this weekend and my targeted timeframe for planting is still mid-September. We shall see how it goes.
If you have an ATV or tractor, just running it up and down the road a bunch of times will work. Anything that push the seed down

If you have an ATV or tractor, just running it up and down the road a bunch of times will work. Anything that push the seed down

As it turns out, I'm going top buy a ATV tomorrow so the equipment possibilities just increased exponentially. Oh happy day! Lol!

As it turns out, I'm going top buy a ATV tomorrow so the equipment possibilities just increased exponentially. Oh happy day! Lol!
Oh lord. I said that at first. Now I have more equipment than most farmers. Ha