Best course of action to get a fall plot into this?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0430.JPG I am thinking this would be too tall to try throw and mow, this is along a trout stream and is probably 4-6' tall weeds and grass. What do you think my best course of action would be to get a fall plot in here?

I could probably get access to a mower/sprayer etc, this is se mn if that matters.

What do you have for tilling equipment? If you have a tractor and disk, I would spray it, mow it, then till it. If you just have and atv then maybe spray it, seed, mow.... you could spray it, mow and then disk with atv equipment but that would be a lot work and time.

Least amount of equipment mow spray burn substitute disk for burn if you have access

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

first would be a soil test?
then I would mower it, and then spray it
once dead and bunt down from spraying, I would add any lime needed and disc it
wait 2 weeks, spray again and seed it with what ever you wish, add any fertilizer, and pray for rain! LOL

Here is what I did......

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/going-planting.7793/

I had places some of the thistle was 6-8' tall. I had to mow first cause of my subpar sprayer set up.

If you are close by and could get it sprayed and leave it sit for a week I would do that. Then I would seed brassica, and then I would mow it. You are in SE MN. You guy get plenty of rain. The hell with the disk and soil test. All you need is to kill the weeds, spread the seed, mow it, and spread some urea right before a rain.

I think you could probably do a regular TNM planting but if you think the vegetation is too thick then try broadcasting the seed and fert and then run over the field one time with a disk that has a lot of the angle taken out. That should terminate much of that stuff and cover the seed and soil surface with vegetation similar to a TNM. If you feel like you still need to….then go back and spray over the top of it after you’re done. If anything bounces back it’ll likely be grass of some kind.

Here's an example of what it will do. You can see the vegetation on the left and right that represents "before" and the "after" in the middle after I've made a pass across is one time with my disk. It's very similar to doing a TNM but deals with the heavy biomass a little better.

QbhvxGk.jpg

I had a similar situation last year on some "failed" plots. My schedule kept me from doing the spring sprayings I wanted to do. In one of the plots I broadcast at a rate of about 100#/ac of WR. I then used a cultipacker to roll everything flat, which was followed up by a spraying of glyphosate. It took a bit to get going, but it finally took and I am very happy this year with how the plots looks.
This was 3 weeks after planting. It shows a couple of things; 1. it was dry in September so not a whole lot had started growing; 2. it showed how tall/gnarly the weeds were I was dealing with.
35030856523_61c14c6598_b.jpg
[/url]
By gun season in Nov, the rye came in well enough that my oldest son shot his first buck out of that plot feeding on said rye!

I frost seeded clover in January on that plot. Here is what it looked like this past May:
35799145686_071d5a99da_b.jpg

35839507095_7f43843b7c_b.jpg

Easy to see where I spread seed and sprayed the following fall:
34999379184_cf1f4b9627_b.jpg

SO, I would think that you might have some success broadcasting some winter rye, rolling and or mowing down the stuff there and end up with something more akin to what you like.

If you're within 50' of the stream you aren't allow to till in Minnesota. Also make sure you wear long sleeves and eye and or face protection when you mow that off. I weed wacked a path to one of my stands last weekend and there must have been some parsnip. My arms are completely covered in an oozing rash. I get the crap every year no matter how careful or not I am.

Pretty sure it is loaded with parsnip, I didn't venture too far in